Water Parameters

On 8/19/2022 at 12:13 PM, Tropicalfishkeeping201 said:

Thank you @modified lung! What can I do to avoid pH from going down? 

On 8/19/2022 at 12:26 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

pH may go down over time with driftwood or leaves in the tank, but regular water changes will keep it consistent. As long as your water company doesn’t change the chemistry.

I don't claim to be an authority, but I've seen several sources that say that pH is more stable with higher KH.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 10:38 AM, JettsPapa said:

I don't claim to be an authority, but I've seen several sources that say that pH is more stable with higher KH.

This is true.

On 8/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

pH may go down over time with driftwood or leaves in the tank, but regular water changes will keep it consistent. As long as your water company doesn’t change the chemistry.

Also true. The nitrifying bacteria also lowers pH over time. 

On 8/19/2022 at 10:13 AM, Tropicalfishkeeping201 said:

What can I do to avoid pH from going down? 

Lots of people use crushed coral, either in their filter or their substrate. But that will add to your GH. Frequent enough water changes would be better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2022 at 11:20 AM, modified lung said:

This is true.

Also true. The nitrifying bacteria also lowers pH over time. 

Lots of people use crushed coral, either in their filter or their substrate. But that will add to your GH. Frequent enough water changes would be better.

Thank you! @modified lung

On 8/19/2022 at 10:26 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Thank you, I currently do not have any driftwood or leaves in the tank and I do 50% weekly water changes which is why I don't know why my Ph is low in the tank but coming out of the tap its pretty high. I'm going to do more water changes to see if it keeps my Ph stable. 

On 8/19/2022 at 10:38 AM, JettsPapa said:

I tested this on Sunday and coming out of my tap, my Kh was 125.3 ppm ( 7 drops) and after doing the off-gassing test, it was 143.2 ppm ( 8 drops) but my Kh is always low in my tank. I did a 50% water change on Tuesday and the Kh was 53.7 ppm ( 3 drops). I tested this using the API Freshwater Test kit. I'm going to do more water changes to see if the Kh in my tank increases over time. Thank you 🙂

Edited by Tropicalfishkeeping201
  • Like 1