Tall and bushy

Hornwort I have anchored with plant weights as a bushy background. As long as I have nitrate and calcium it does well in any light, no co2.  I have had success with milfoil and cabomba but if it gets to bushy in low to medium light tanks the lower portion gets fussy.  I also like anacharis elodea densa. While not bushy itself grouped closer it gives a very full less manicured look the bushy plants give. Contortionist Val can also give that full/bushy affect with the twisted leaves. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 6:05 AM, Julio said:

I would try Pogostemon Stellatus 'Octopus it’s a great background plant to make it nice and bushy just cut the tops and plant. soon enough you’ll have a jungle of it lol

Welcome to the forum!

I equate PSO to a gigantic weed, lol.  It grows without too much hassle and can easily take over.  I have seen this version of pogostemon, but never kept it.  This one might fit the bill.  You can see the PSO right behind the PSE in this one too!

Depending on what kind of a look you're going for, I would say just a big chunk of moss works as well.  Attach it to a good size piece of hardscape and it'll be a very amazing "bush" shape that you can trim or let it get pretty long.

Edited by nabokovfan87
added note about video

Water Sprite did not work for me either.  I've had great luck with Hornwort and Anacharis as floating plants. As background plants, my Anacharis seem to prefer to to root themselves in, if they root at all.  PSO Looks good , but isn't the wonderweed I was hoping for. If can grow it, Wisteria grows bushy if you trim it causing it to branch,  It also seems the easiest to propagate.  My Wisteria also seems to hold onto the broad new leaf form rather than reverting to the more fernlike growth.

• Thanks 1

I'm currently watching my water sprite to see how it will do.  I see new growth and the old growth dying.  Hopefully it will survive the transition and new growth will continue.  My PSO melted away after 4 months of not really growing with easy green and root tabs being used in the tank. I might try PSO again at some point since I liked how it looked and hoped to propagate easily.

• Like 1