Cure for MTS?

Cleveland M

My story.

Started out with a 20gal for my granddaughter's  Axolotl about six months ago. As of today I have 3 20T's, 2 20L's a 10 and, a 40 breeder.  2 Axolotls, 14 species of fish, 2 different kinds of shrimp and, 5 species of snails.

Also have so many micro worms, grindal worms and, vinegar eels that I should really open up an Ebay store and sell starters.

Also have 2 30ish gal totes with plants I have propagated that I can no longer can fit in my tanks.(More for the store lol)

Will it end before I have to sleep out on the porch or am I DOOMED?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, lefty o said:

the first step is admitting you have a problem. the second is seeking help. 3rd, forget 1&2 and just buy another tank, you know you want to. step 4, start over at step 1.

Step 5 start claiming unlikely spaces in the house( who needs counter space ? and that  extra space over the back of the toilet would fit a tank!)

Step 6. Convincing your spouse that “it’s just one small tank more really- you won’t even notice it”… 

Step 7. If step 6 doesn’t work then activate the “ better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission” 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 7:59 AM, quikv6 said:

What method do you use to keep all of those axolotl tanks cool, may I ask?

Both Axolotls are in the 40 breeder with cloud mountain minnows. I use 2 of these https://www.amazon.com/LONDAFISH-Aquarium-Chillers-Cooling-Marine/dp/B07FCJGZ4H?pd_rd_w=COSVu&content-id=amzn1.sym.bc622850-a717-4d94-96c3-7cc183488298&pf_rd_p=bc622850-a717-4d94-96c3-7cc183488298&pf_rd_r=2E4T6DDDJY4M3JN3KMWM&pd_rd_wg=GhnGE&pd_rd_r=e9c4c313-e13c-4aef-81af-c4e76ceba294&pd_rd_i=B07FCJGZ4H&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_51_t on a temp controller set at 66.5. At first I had it on 65 but had trouble keeping the tank cycled. At 66.5 it stays 0/0/<20 between water changes.

The cure for MTS is to go out and buy a bunch of tanks, a ridiculous amount, like a bunch of 20 highs during the dollar-a-gallon sale. Then get exhausted setting them up, spending all your money on substrate/plants/heaters/filters/etc., then spend even more money on fish, totally overstock them, then get exhausted by all the upkeep until the moment that fatigue and grief sets in and you just let them all gunk up and just look terrible. At that point reality will set in. You've massively overdosed; you've hit rock bottom. Don't worry there will soon be support groups to join, followed, of course, by a number of necessary relapses.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

On 8/16/2022 at 7:33 PM, Anjum said:

This thread is gold 🤣 When I read the title, I thought surely you're referencing Malaysian Trumpet Snails. But no, you're referencing the affliction common to us all 😁

Been down that road too. Cure for trumpets? Assassins. Wait do assassins have enough to eat? Buy more trumpets!!! Repeat until you have a nice flocks of both Assassins and Trumpets.... WIN

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2022 at 7:16 PM, tolstoy21 said:

The cure for MTS is to go out and buy a bunch of tanks, a ridiculous amount, like a bunch of 20 highs during the dollar-a-gallon sale. Then get exhausted setting them up, spending all your money on substrate/plants/heaters/filters/etc., then spend even more money on fish, totally overstock them, then get exhausted by all the upkeep until the moment that fatigue and grief sets in and you just let them all gunk up and just look terrible. At that point reality will set in. You've massively overdosed; you've hit rock bottom. Don't worry there will soon be support groups to join, followed, of course, by a number of necessary relapses.

I’m sorry, that’s suicidal.  There is no known cure for MTS. But it can be managed by drawing up detail plans for your next tank at least 3 times before investing.  If done properly you might be able to get away with only getting 6 or 7, 8 tops, dozen tank a year.

• Haha 2

On 8/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, lefty o said:

the first step is admitting you have a problem. the second is seeking help. 3rd, forget 1&2 and just buy another tank, you know you want to. step 4, start over at step 1.

Don't forget to rinse and repeat.

• Haha 1

The best way I've found to fight MTS I found by accident. We didn't have any tanks and weren't thinking about any when we moved into our 2nd floor apartment. MTS hit my wife hard when Covid hit the U.S. and she started adding tanks at a fast pace. Lucky for me, I was able to convince her that the structural integrity of our floors was in question after the 12th tank. She still has MTS but is keeping it under control figuring out different ways to scape her tanks and breeding several species of fish. Good luck to you @Cleveland M!