Temporary Tank for Cherry Shrimp - Aragonite Substrate?

Jen Abe

I have 20 cherry shrimp arriving this week and the tank I want to put them in is on backorder. No worries, I have two extra tanks sitting around I can use temporarily and I have a seeded filter sponge.

I can either put them in my 20 long shell dweller setup which hasn't any fish yet, just some rabbit snails and floating plants, but the PH is higher cause of the aragonite sand (eco complete cichlid sand).

The other option is a bare bottom, empty tank. I have some leaves and cholla wood I can drop into either.

Which is the better option for them to live in for at least a few weeks before I transfer them to their desktop home 🙂 I feel that they might be happier with the substrate and some rocks but worry about the PH.

Thanks in advance!

On 8/14/2022 at 6:53 PM, Jen Abe said:

I have 20 cherry shrimp arriving this week and the tank I want to put them in is on backorder. No worries, I have two extra tanks sitting around I can use temporarily and I have a seeded filter sponge.

I can either put them in my 20 long shell dweller setup which hasn't any fish yet, just some rabbit snails and floating plants, but the PH is higher cause of the aragonite sand (eco complete cichlid sand).

The other option is a bare bottom, empty tank. I have some leaves and cholla wood I can drop into either.

Which is the better option for them to live in for at least a few weeks before I transfer them to their desktop home 🙂 I feel that they might be happier with the substrate and some rocks but worry about the PH.

Thanks in advance!

I am by no means a shrimp expert and am learning myself right now but I do know shrimp can be on barebottom. That's actually how I'm keeping my shrimp right now. The only issue I've run into wouldn't be a huge issue for you with a temp setup. Shrimp will change their color according to the substrate so a barebottom will cause them to go more clear. Since this is temporary it shouldn't be am issue because they would change back when put into the tank with substrate. I'm currently looking to add substrate to my tank for this reason but I see no issues with you doing it. 20220811_161450.jpg.d11a1e26f63f123f35dd0055d59669f9.jpg

Here's a pic of one of my saddled females to show how dramatic it can be lol. I think this change only took her around 2 weeks too. 

• Like 1

How high is the pH in the 20 gallon tank, and do you know what pH the shrimp are coming from?  If it's not too high (and my shrimp do well in 8.2 pH), I think the established 20 gallon tank would be the best option.  Shrimp often struggle to do well in brand new tanks, even with a seasoned sponge filter and a bunch of live plants.