Plant Recommendations?

OfficialThomas

I am a young hobbyist and I have a 20 gallon high aquarium. I have been running it with little to no fish (mystery snails) in it for a few months testing water every 2 weeks or so. 

My hardscape consists of pieces of dragon stone and spiderwood.

I want to get into live plants but I don't want to break the bank and I don't really want to fill my aquarium with so many plants. 

Eventually I want to have these fish in the tank:

• 10 neon tetras
  • 10 cherry shrimp 
  • 1 dwarf gourami (or other centerpiece fish)
  • 3 guppies
  • 2 mystery snails (already have)

Any recommendations on placement and plant types? Any other tips?

79E93F38-E54B-46CE-B205-F6A425E851C6.jpg

• Like 1

I would suggest some stems, it can take a while, but they are super easy to propogate, my favorites are Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus, water sprite and/or water wisteria and rotala. I also love crypts and anubias (I am probably the only person on the planet who can't grow java fern). A dwarf aquarium lily would look great as well! I would suggest getting one or two types of stems maybe an anubias, it would fit into the holes of the stone on the right back perfectly...the petite might be a bit small if you're looking to fill out the scape sooner rather than later...a crypt and a lily bulb. Also, if you don't want to break the bank you can always get a few things at a time and see how they grow in 🙂

You may want/need to take out a few of your stones to make some room for the plants (maybe the large one in the back middle?), but it looks great so far!

Can't wait to see how it develops soon!

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 12:29 PM, DebSills said:

I would suggest some stems, it can take a while, but they are super easy to propogate, my favorites are Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus, water sprite and/or water wisteria and rotala. I also love crypts and anubias (I am probably the only person on the planet who can't grow java fern). A dwarf aquarium lily would look great as well! I would suggest getting one or two types of stems maybe an anubias, it would fit into the holes of the stone on the right back perfectly...the petite might be a bit small if you're looking to fill out the scape sooner rather than later...a crypt and a lily bulb. Also, if you don't want to break the bank you can always get a few things at a time and see how they grow in 🙂

You may want/need to take out a few of your stones to make some room for the plants (maybe the large one in the back middle?), but it looks great so far!

Can't wait to see how it develops soon!

Thank you so much!

I’ll second the dwarf aquarium Lilly. They’re economical, they grow fast and the look really  nice. 
Stem plants like like Pogostemon Octopus and water Wisteria  are also  usually inexpensive and fast growing. You can trim them so they don’t overtake the tank. 
Java fern and Anubias are often recommended beginner plants that grow slowly and don’t take over. They seem to be slightly more expensive, but they’re idea if you’re going for that sparsely planted look. They don’t need to be planted and can be attached to rock or wood. 

• Thanks 1

Here is what I would do-

- Jungle Val in the back left corner
- Ludwigia or dwarf rotala tucked in between the ring of smaller rocks in the left half
- Java Fern in the back just to the left of the big rock on the right and extending behind the left side of the big rock 
- Dwarf sag in the open area on the right in front of the big rock
- Monte Carlo in foreground in front of the smaller rocks on the left

Edited by _Eric_