Substrate for a new tank

amanda7

There are a lot of "it depends" when it comes to substrate. If you're using an undergravel filter, different sizes and types of substrate offer different pros and cons. Some fish, sand shifters like Geophagus, like a fine sandy substrate and disrupt it enough to prevent any potential buildup of toxic gases. Though with them shoveling mouthfuls of fine sand around that can get sucked into a canister or HOB filter can cause issues with the impellers. If you want plants, there are substrates that are better for plants. (Though pretty much anything can support some plants.) Personal likes or dislikes matter too. You may love a painted purple gravel. If you do, that's the gravel for you. And the fish matter too. Goldfish and plecos tend to mouth gravel a lot and coated gravels will lose their coating over time if you use a coated gravel. There is no "right" answer.

• Like 1

whatever tickles your fancy, whether its gravel, dirt, or any of the fancy substrates. pick one that appeals to you. me, i always go with gravel as it works well, comes in any color under the sun, is easy to clean, and stores well if i decide to take down a tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think we need a bit more information on what type of aquarium you’re building, but since it’s the Aquarium co-op forum I’m guessing it’s a planted community tank. If that’s the case then I’d suggest a commercially made aquasoil like Fluval Stratum. It’s  a man made, nutrient enriched soil that’s somehow baked into little pellets.  These products are great and they only real drawback is their high price.  In my 75 gallon I used a base of Fluval Stratum with a layer of cheap and nice looking pool filter sand to top it off. That way I get the benefits of the aquasoil and save some money because I use much less. 

• Like 1

Im thinking sand. I really like black sand. I know many people that have used bdbs it but I never have. there tanks look go but

what type of sand? I have used some carbisea and it was very sharp but i know they make several types and some are not.

On 8/14/2022 at 5:06 PM, amanda7 said:

what type of sand? I have used some carbisea and it was very sharp but i know they make several types and some are not.

I just filled a tank with CaribSea Crystal River.  It's very similar to the "moonlight sand" but it's about double the particle size. 

I would not recommend BDBS, but I would recommend using either of the two above.  If you want something cheaper, then I would go ahead and look out for pool filter sand.

If you prefer black substrate, I would recommend Seachem flourite black (or black sand) for the tank.

If you are doing a planted tank, I would look into using something underneath, capping it with any of the above mentioned substrates.