This is the exact topic I was going to start, thanks Preston John. And I know your the perfect person for this question. I recently got a baby schoutedeni puffer maybe 1 1/2” from Dan’s Fish. He’s captive breed (not in the states but I don’t know where) and seems to be doing great in his new home. I know Dan was mainly feeding them scuds and snails to plump them up a little. Since I got him/her it took about 4 days for me to get him/her to eat anything which was finally bloodworms. I’m still trying snails of varying sizes and no interest. I ordered in scuds just the other day so I’m going to start a colony but I tried a few with a dropper to him/her and maybe some interest but just not quick enough to eat one. So what I’m getting at is do you think at this young it’s ok to be just eating bloodworms? I have snails in the tank so if he/she decides to transfer over they are there. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

20 hours ago, Brian W said:

This is the exact topic I was going to start, thanks Preston John. And I know your the perfect person for this question. I recently got a baby schoutedeni puffer maybe 1 1/2” from Dan’s Fish. He’s captive breed (not in the states but I don’t know where) and seems to be doing great in his new home. I know Dan was mainly feeding them scuds and snails to plump them up a little. Since I got him/her it took about 4 days for me to get him/her to eat anything which was finally bloodworms. I’m still trying snails of varying sizes and no interest. I ordered in scuds just the other day so I’m going to start a colony but I tried a few with a dropper to him/her and maybe some interest but just not quick enough to eat one. So what I’m getting at is do you think at this young it’s ok to be just eating bloodworms? I have snails in the tank so if he/she decides to transfer over they are there. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

Brian- 

Feeding them bloodworms everyday for a few weeks/months is just fine. If the puffer isn’t interested in snails yet, just make sure you have a lot in the tank that are very small. One day you’ll look into the tank and find no snails and one fat puffer! 
Dan got his from an Indonesia breeder, so I’d make sure you do a proper worming like @Cory recommends. I also have some information on  

WWW.SPOTTEDCONGOPUFFER.COM

Caring and Worming Spotted Congo Puffers and other Freshwater Puffers

@Brian W little more on the feeding.
schoutedeni teeth don’t grow too fast (males faster than females) and I’ve only seen one time that a large male had trouble eating because his caretaker only fed bloodworms and clams for three years. But we got it fixed over five months by feeding boat loads of very small snails every day. 

• Administrators

I primarily feed clams on the half shell, and shrimp. I mix in ramshorn snails that I raise up in tanks eating fish food and such for a different vitamin set. Mix in other shelled things like muscles and different types of clams when I happen to pick em up from the store. 

On 10/25/2020 at 5:44 PM, Brian W said:

@Preston Johnthat’s a bit of a relief, thank you so much for the info. 

@Brian W I am in the same boat as you and been relying on blood worms for my puffer. She occasionally is picking off the smaller pond snails I put in the tank. Any chance you could post a pic of your puffer? Mine is healthy and happy but worried that there's possibly a defect with her tail.

20201029_185957.jpg

So far I’m feeding clams, fiddler crabs, blood worms, brine. Now I’m trying to get them to eat repashy with oyster shells in it. Oh rams horn snails. Breeding for my Amazon puffers and my Peas. I got lucky when I bought my peas because they had about 30 together all during quarantine in California. I wanted 5 and ended up with 2 males and 3 females.  I’m not sure why they barely fight over the ladies. My guess they had been at the fish shop for 4 months. Love them to death. I feel lucky because they barely fight. One hit one then the other. Don’t blink because it happens so quick

• Like 1

@MaxCsorry it took me so long to catch your post. Your puffer does look like it has got a deformity but I bet he’s just fine (adds character). I’ve yet to see mine with the fin opened up so I can’t see it being a big deal. Here’s a couple pics of mine, and good luck with yours.

I feed my fahaka ramshorns I breed, mystery snails sometimes. I'm trying to get a large enough colony of them growing. Fresh and frozen clams of any type I find, crayfish, red claw and fiddler crabs,, mussels, shrimp, krill. I just recently got two colonies of self cloning crayfish going, so that will help a lot. 

Edited by Puffandstuff
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Puffandstuff said:

I feed my fahaka ramshorns I breed, mystery snails sometimes. I'm trying to get a large enough colony of them growing. Fresh and frozen clams of any type I find, crayfish, red claw and fiddler crabs,, mussels, shrimp, krill. I just recently got two colonies of self cloning crayfish going, so that will help a lot. 

I’d love to learn more about the crayfish cultures!

I dont know a lot, just what I've been reading lately. They are the marbled crayfish. Or nickname self cloning crayfish. They are all female and reproduce with no interaction from another. One lone female will carry and hatch eggs over and over. I've purchased 8 young ones about 3 weeks ago. So I can't say from experience yet. But I have found a lot of folks on the web that seem successful with them. Care seems to be just like the common feeder crayfish. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up my first dwarf pea puffer about 30 minutes ago and its currently acclimating to the tank. I have a tank full of "helpful snails" being ramshorn and bladder that i hope i can feed it but i also picked up some frozen blood worms (which i guess i just thaw a few and drop them in the tank). I think the belly is solid yellow which would point towards her being a female but once she finishes acclimating i hope i will be able to tell better. 

Just now, Marnol D said:

@H.K.Luterman does it go after all size snails or jsut small ones? 

I give him little ones, stuff that he seems to tackle quickly. Anything too big he doesn't seem to get at as well. If I'm unsure on size, I'll crush the snails first between two spoons, and give him the resulting pancake: no problem getting it all that way!