FX4 plus UGF = crazy hybrid system...Go!

Gwallace

I have a friend that has just set up a standard 90 gallon aquarium.  He filters the aquarium with an UGF in conjunction with a Fluval (why they trippin?) FX4.  

The UGF has fittings for 4 uplift tubes but he is using only the 2 corners.  The intake to the FX4 is attached to the left rear UGF uplift tube.  The right rear uplift is air driven.   The output of the FX4 is standard as intended by Fluval.  

I am intrigued by this set up and curious to hear your opinions on the set up.

Pecktec was doing something similar in a couple of his tanks - in one he had a corner mattenfilter, a ugf and a cannister! 

I think that it is worth the risks to experiment. You won’t achieve “anoxic” conditions moving the water that fast but aerobic filtration is what most of us use anyway. 

I am seriously consider doing a corner mattenfilter, ugf and a Eheim 2215 on my 45 g. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 3:49 PM, Gwallace said:

I am intrigued by this set up and curious to hear your opinions on the set up.

I think there's better ways to handle it. 

Mattenfilter, overflows, just using them seperately, etc.  I think attaching them in that way, makes them both run non-optimally.
A.  Canister with in-line CO2 and a prefilter sponge, spraybar output for best flow paths
B.  UGF with air driven pipes, it just adds air, and does what you need it to. 
C.  Gravel vac to clean things, assuming this isn't a planted tank or that if it is, the plants are done in such a way the UGF acts to hold in nutrients.

On 8/13/2022 at 7:20 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Pecktec was doing something similar in a couple of his tanks - in one he had a corner mattenfilter, a ugf and a cannister! 

Good stuff.  This is his "I did some stuff and learned from it" latest update.  I always enjoy his stuff 🙂

• Love 1

@nabokovfan87exactly he’s become the “if it’s around let’s use it” guy. The substrate layers in the 43 g he did was ridiculous- laterite, clay kitty litter, ada Amazonia, left over Fluval, and then I think some flourite black. Agree on how enjoyable his builds are. Feel like MD Fishtanks builds have been getting pretty safe whereas Pecktec keeps getting further and further out there. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 8:23 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@nabokovfan87exactly he’s become the “if it’s around let’s use it” guy.

There's totally a reason for it!  But I think I really appreciate how he views things.  He takes a tank down when he sets one up, etc.  He evolves things.  His video on "when to give up" was one I always find myself going back to.

He's a thoughtful one with his advice. And who doesn't love the clones!

I like the idea of using a canister filter as a mechanical filter then using the output from the canister as a reverse flow UG system for biofiltration. By having the canister filter input in the open tank and the output going into the UG grid you can create an up flow in the tank keeping debris circulating to be sucked up by the canister. The back pressure on the canister where it's forcing water down under the grid could be an issue, but if managed correctly, such a system could be pretty effective.

• Like 1