Bottom Dweller

Cinnebuns

I'm mentally planning a 10 gallon betta tank for a few months from now. A friend is currently raising said betta. I realized that if I want tank mates, not entirely convinced either way, I should plan that now so I can get them situated before I get the betta. I already know I want to add nerite snails because as many of you know, I have a bunch already lol. Beyond that I'm torn on a few things.

There is no shortage of guides suggesting betta tank mates but nothing has stuck out to me yet. I think I prefer a bottom dweller but so far there are issues with each I think of. Khuli loaches would eat the nerite snails. Dwarf cories are a possible option but I'm not sure I want pygmy and idk if I could locate hastatus. I shortly considered gobies. Idk much about them but sounds like they are a little aggressive and want high flow. The tank probably won't be seasoned enough for otos. Do they actually eat algae wafers at all? Any chance CPO cray would work? Lol I feel silly suggesting it but would be amazing if it would. 

Any ideas?

Ok, so I literally got the CPO idea while typing the original post and then decided to do some research. Apparently this is an actual combo many people have gotten to work!  I may have answered my own question and just had to talk it out maybe haha. Still helpful to get any input. 

It definitely could work, but it is try at your own risk. If you have a particularly aggressive betta or crayfish, they could end up killing the other. That said, bettas could also harass and or kill other bottom dwellers depending on their temperament. 

If you like larger crustaceans, you could also consider full grown Amano shrimp. I have had both kuhli loaches and Pygmy cories with bettas (male and female). By the way, kuhli loaches will leave your nerites alone. I have never seen them go after any snail in particular. 

You could also consider an African dwarf frog or a couple of them. They just kind of hang out and most bettas that I have had leave them alone (even the more aggressive ones). They also eat the same things so it works out! I once had a betta that treated an ADF like his best friend. They always hung out together and when the frog would float to the top and do their splaying thing, my betta would gently nudge him so that he could spin in the water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 2:42 AM, Scapexghost said:

What about panda cories?

I have panda cories in my 29 and breed them. Tbh I don't think they are suitable for a 10 tho beyond juveniles growing out. Although, I do already put my juveniles in a 10 so maybe I just add the betta? Lol

• Like 1

i think if you keep feeding the Otos until the tank has enough biofilm and algae then Otos could work. Albino or Panda Corys could work as well. Nerite snails should be able to keep the tank's algae at bay as well. Kuhli Loaches always work too but usually only come out as night unless there is lots of them.

How about Dwarf Anchor Cat. Erethistes jerdoni
The Dwarf Anchor Catfish is a unique small catfish. They only grow to 1.2” in length. They inhabit slow-moving streams with soft sandy substrates.  They are not very active in the aquarium, so you don’t need a lot of room for them.  They prefer cooler temperatures 64-75o F. They naturally occur in Bangladesh and India.

Dwarf Anchor Catfish prefer to be kept in small groups.  They are better housed with species like Dario sp. or Celestial Pearl Danio. It is best not to house them with active bottom-feeding fish as they may be out-competed for food

B8E7EF23-DB08-45C4-AD08-B3A77B453406.jpeg.bbe719d45aa6de718a0adf8b0af114f5.jpeg

@Guppysnail these might be the “in search of” fish you mention.  The image search included

66988799-085B-40AC-99EB-5BD938216280.jpeg.93ce000264fe8d8e47a4804f3d186f16.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/13/2022 at 8:40 AM, Ken Burke said:

How about Dwarf Anchor Cat. Erethistes jerdoni
The Dwarf Anchor Catfish is a unique small catfish. They only grow to 1.2” in length. They inhabit slow-moving streams with soft sandy substrates.  They are not very active in the aquarium, so you don’t need a lot of room for them.  They prefer cooler temperatures 64-75o F. They naturally occur in Bangladesh and India.

Dwarf Anchor Catfish prefer to be kept in small groups.  They are better housed with species like Dario sp. or Celestial Pearl Danio. It is best not to house them with active bottom-feeding fish as they may be out-competed for food

B8E7EF23-DB08-45C4-AD08-B3A77B453406.jpeg.bbe719d45aa6de718a0adf8b0af114f5.jpeg

@Guppysnail these might be the “in search of” fish you mention.  The image search included

66988799-085B-40AC-99EB-5BD938216280.jpeg.93ce000264fe8d8e47a4804f3d186f16.jpeg 

They look the same but the ones I looked at are Hara Jerdoni. Your second picture is the exact same photo.  See this photo with the name listed. I think they might be  the same fish maybe with two Latin names maybe. I’ll have to research more. 

BF325693-CBBB-4D66-961F-831A455DF438.png

4D9DFDCF-2A80-4CC1-AD27-51826276C191.png

ED0FDE36-7A2E-48F1-A58C-16F0B3D34673.png

A9F17FD9-F85A-4D60-9C91-66A034C5C723.png

Here is another I was looking at. Gets 2-3 inches but grows slow. I was going to start them in a 10. One is doable in 10 if your good with maintenance. Microglanis iheringi

It would match the bumblebee nerites 😁. But I would not it it with small nerites  it does eat bladder snails

DA046146-2D41-4DE8-9B78-5E8E9EAF323B.png

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:52 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm mentally planning a 10 gallon betta tank for a few months from now. A friend is currently raising said betta. I realized that if I want tank mates, not entirely convinced either way, I should plan that now so I can get them situated before I get the betta. I already know I want to add nerite snails because as many of you know, I have a bunch already lol. Beyond that I'm torn on a few things.

There is no shortage of guides suggesting betta tank mates but nothing has stuck out to me yet. I think I prefer a bottom dweller but so far there are issues with each I think of. Khuli loaches would eat the nerite snails. Dwarf cories are a possible option but I'm not sure I want pygmy and idk if I could locate hastatus. I shortly considered gobies. Idk much about them but sounds like they are a little aggressive and want high flow. The tank probably won't be seasoned enough for otos. Do they actually eat algae wafers at all? Any chance CPO cray would work? Lol I feel silly suggesting it but would be amazing if it would. 

Any ideas?

I don’t think I’ve heard of kuhli loaches eating nerite snails - those should work fine.

Also - my otos like algae wafers and repashy soilent green / morning wood.  

Edited by _Eric_
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:01 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I have panda cories in my 29 and breed them. Tbh I don't think they are suitable for a 10 tho beyond juveniles growing out. Although, I do already put my juveniles in a 10 so maybe I just add the betta? Lol

Is it possible to get a 20L instead?  the issue for me is just corys and temps.  They like 2 airstones in a tank, not required, but they enjoy it, and then just the difference in temp where most people keep a betta pretty warm.

It's been a long time since I've been around a betta or had one.  I would lean towards shrimp with them, as long as it's planted and they can hide well enough (or just be big enough) as long as the betta doesn't go crazy on them.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:57 AM, Guppysnail said:

Here is another I was looking at. Gets 2-3 inches but grows slow.

As long as the tank doesn't have gravel, it's ok.  They tend to get impacted super easily. They usually go into the tank, then you never see em except at night.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Is it possible to get a 20L instead?

I just found a 15 gal on marketplace for $10 that I'm picking up tomorrow. Im pretty sure it's the same length as a 20L with less height. I'm starting to seriously consider CPO dwarf crays. 

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 ok so I just had an idea come to me.  I impulse bought a powdered blue gourami last weekend. I think that's my solution here. Instead of a betta with the CPO I do that gourami. Maybe add some tetras and I'm good. I still might get a betta months from now as my friend is raising that one but I think maybe I do it alone with nerites and that's it. 

Just throwing thoughts out about tetras then. If its blue I don't think I wanna go with cardinal or neon so I'm thinking maybe ember. Maybe green neon would work. Silver tipped?  Maybe look into some rasboras. Idk a lot about them. The tnak would either be 20 or 15 both of which are long enough for those but idk if for something like rummy nose which are heavier schooling. 

Well an idea just came to me. I could move the pseudomugil furcata that I have in my main tank instead of the tetras. But I also partially want an excuse to get some tetras haha 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 2:07 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Just throwing thoughts out about tetras then. If its blue I don't think I wanna go with cardinal or neon so I'm thinking maybe ember. Maybe green neon would work. Silver tipped? 

I would 100000000% try to do silvertips if you've never kept them.  That schooling behavior might be intense for the gourami.  I would try to have 2-3 gouramis if you can just so they have a herd and then your 2-3 smaller nano fish.  I know groups of gouramis are a major issue. 

Upper water: Gourami
Mid water: nano fish
Lower: Corydoras, Catfish, or Ram or Apisto

In terms of size, I think green neons and neon tetras work well. Chili rasbora, ember tetras as a second group for contrast.  In terms of rasbora they tend to like cooler temps, but I would check out the neon green (kabutai) rasboras as a place to start.  Something yellow would be the silvertips, and your pseudomugil.  As long as they have plants and cover, I think it all works and you have a very active tank with separation.  Temps for all of that seem to work.  Maybe even instead of a bottom cory you have a pygmy one.  I don't know how they do with temps, but it would go back and forth between bottom and midwater and interact well with everything.

Edited by nabokovfan87