Just got in Java Moss, will the steel hurt my Kuhli Loaches?

Bardotraveller

Hello everyone!

I was excited to get my Java Moss from the Co-op and it’s been grown on those steel mesh pads, which is great for carpeting.  However I also have Kuhli Loaches that are new to my tank, and because they hide and burrow a bit, I worry that the sides of the mesh could tear into them.  I have stratum gravel on top of regular gravel and then I placed two squares of the Java moss on top of that.  Is this something I should be concerned about?

A9649D98-BD13-4790-8BF9-AE1C15685E50.jpeg

On 8/12/2022 at 7:36 AM, Bardotraveller said:

That’s what I was worried about, do you have any idea of how I’m supposed to separate the moss from the mesh at all?  

Sometimes there is thread, other times you're just supposed to grow moss, trim it, then attach it where you want it.

I have had fish get cut on the mesh.  I prefer the plastic one because of this now.  My best advice I can give would be to use something like superglue around the edge of the mesh as a sort of barrier to cover all the sharp edges.

• Love 1

I lost a WCMM to said mesh. I think she was being chased by the boy for mating purposes and got caught in it. I repositioned it so that edges are against the glass or a safe surface. I think removing the moss would be the best idea, but then it makes the cost of the piece absurd for the little moss that comes with it. 

It is a good idea if you are using it as a moss farm where you can harvest it and move it to other tanks.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:55 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sometimes there is thread, other times you're just supposed to grow moss, trim it, then attach it where you want it.

I have had fish get cut on the mesh.  I prefer the plastic one because of this now.  My best advice I can give would be to use something like superglue around the edge of the mesh as a sort of barrier to cover all the sharp edges.

I agree with @nabokovfan87, run a bead of gorilla glue gel around the edges of the mat to seal the edges in and create a dull edge.  Then you won’t need to worry about them being hurt by the metal.