Mass die-off after water change. What the @*&$% just happened???

B1gJ4k3

On 8/20/2022 at 9:05 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

California water.  I am having algae issues after the move based on a variety of reasons.  My assumption is.... they are lingering issues because of what the city is doing to the water.  I have had PH/KH swings, GH swings, and "randomly" have had some nitrate / algae bloom issues.

This is opposite of what I was posting about I think. The city is treating heavy with chlorine to fight the algae. My water is very smelly like chorine and/or chloramines. I can't even take a sip like I used to it's so bad right now. 

I have no idea what is causing the bloom in Lake Isabella.

It will be interesting to see how much de-chlore it will take to neutralize it for my next water change. I always check it before I add it to the tank. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott

On 8/20/2022 at 10:31 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

It will be interesting to see how much de-chlore it will take to neutralize it for my next water change. I always check it before I add it to the tank. 

A lot of the bottles specify around 5x the normal dose to treat it. 

It sucks to see the city using water not meant for humans to be around shipped to the house for the sake of trying to drink it and cook with it.  Lots to say about that.... 😞 .

Hopefully things improve.  I know whole home filters is something we've been looking into for the issues we are seeing now with tap water.  Sparkletts/arrowhead just aren't an option anymore given the needs we have.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:07 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

A lot of the bottles specify around 5x the normal dose to treat it. 

It sucks to see the city using water not meant for humans to be around shipped to the house for the sake of trying to drink it and cook with it.  Lots to say about that.... 😞 .

Hopefully things improve.  I know whole home filters is something we've been looking into for the issues we are seeing now with tap water.  Sparkletts/arrowhead just aren't an option anymore given the needs we have.

A whole house filter would be nice but of course you have to service it. Heck, you should be able to put that filtered water right in the tank. I have a "Water Drop" RO system under my kitchen sink, it's great for the coffee maker and cooking. (and tank make up from evaporation) I don't like the taste so I drink the filtered water from the fridge. No doubt the fridge filter will need to be changed more often and I hope the pre filter in the RO makes it another year like it's supposed to. 

I haven't checked for a while but I didn't have any nitrate in my city water so that's good. 

For me it just seems like a lot more chlorine is all, we shall see. 

• Like 1