Ember Tetras vs Cherry Barb

NanotankBank

So I have a 29gal Fully planted tank that currently houses 1 Bolivian Ram, 2 Honey Gouramis, to be 6 Albino Corydoras. pH I got to 7.0-7.2 and Temp is 79-80° consistently with moderately soft water. What would work better in my tank, A school of 8 Cherry Barbs or 10 Ember tetras?

• Like 1

I love my Cherry barbs! The red on the males looks amazing and their sparing behavior is lots of fun to watch. I think they’re highly underrated, especially for $3-4 each. I’d do 3 males and 3 females. 

The ember tetras can’t complete with the male barbs on color, but you could probably get twice as many because they’re so small. It would be cool to have a school of 12-14 buzzing around the tank. I’d do 12 in a 29. 

Pros for Cherry Barbs: Color and mating behavior 

Pros for Tetras: schooling behavior, small so you can get more. 

No cons for either fish

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, pjust9 said:

I got to 7.0-7.2 and Temp is 79-80° consistently with moderately soft water. What would work better in my tank, A school of 8 Cherry Barbs or 10 Ember tetras?

As a general guideline (not always the case) most barbs prefer the 74ish range. Tetras generally prefer it slightly warmer.  Just based on that alone I would steer your towards the tetras.  I think cherry barbs are more of the 74-76 range as opposed to the 76-78 range that you're keeping the tank at right now.  I always try to keep my tanks cooler, but like most everyone it's hot here right now and my ranks are way too warm for my enjoyment!  So, that just means they can "tolerate" the temps that are higher.  You can read care guides by ACO in the blog and other places that clarifies that when you take a fish meant to be cooler and run them warmer you add stress.  This stress does a few things, but the most common one is going to be a higher risk of disease and a shortened lifespan.

PH looks to be on the high side, so in either case I'd recommend some wood in the tank or something to try to lower PH. (botanicals, etc.)

These are all slightly irrelevant in terms of care, because we are more than likely discussing tank raised fish that are acclimated to wider parameters. 

For me....
Cherry Barbs - Moreso Red, will get slightly bigger in size
Ember Tetras - Moreso orangey red

and I'll add another for you:
Chili Rasbora - VERY red, unique pattern, very small mouth (needs small food)

On 8/11/2022 at 3:52 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

As a general guideline (not always the case) most barbs prefer the 74ish range. Tetras generally prefer it slightly warmer.  Just based on that alone I would steer your towards the tetras.  I think cherry barbs are more of the 74-76 range as opposed to the 76-78 range that you're keeping the tank at right now.  I always try to keep my tanks cooler, but like most everyone it's hot here right now and my ranks are way too warm for my enjoyment!  So, that just means they can "tolerate" the temps that are higher.  You can read care guides by ACO in the blog and other places that clarifies that when you take a fish meant to be cooler and run them warmer you add stress.  This stress does a few things, but the most common one is going to be a higher risk of disease and a shortened lifespan.

PH looks to be on the high side, so in either case I'd recommend some wood in the tank or something to try to lower PH. (botanicals, etc.)

These are all slightly irrelevant in terms of care, because we are more than likely discussing tank raised fish that are acclimated to wider parameters. 

For me....
Cherry Barbs - Moreso Red, will get slightly bigger in size
Ember Tetras - Moreso orangey red

and I'll add another for you:
Chili Rasbora - VERY red, unique pattern, very small mouth (needs small food)

Absolutely love chili rasboras but I can’t find any for sale at my LFS or online

So i have both in several aquariums - here are my observations:

cherry barbs are larger

cherry barbs do not school or even really shoal - they sort of scatter 

in a heavily planted tank they will mostly stay hidden a lot of time but occasionally one or two will come out at a time

ember tetra are quite a bit smaller (suitable for 10 or even 5 gallon); ember tetra are not as deeply coloured; ember tetra group up into a large school - they don't move much - they move less than cherry barb but they stay together. 

ember tetra can handle higher temps better (if you have a warm water aquarium).

-

Depending on the size of your ram and disposition you might be safer with cherry barbs - but i would only get 8 or even 7. They are not tiny fishes like ember. I have my cherry barbs in a 40B and 120; and the embers in a 10 and 29.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1