BN Pleco in QT

LilBoot

I currently have a BN Pleco in a 5 gallon QT. This was only temporary for about two week. Question is, it's a real small guy and he is going in to a 29 Gal with a big school of tiger barbs and serpae tetras. I would like to grow him out a bit, but don't want to hamper him in that small tank. Realistically as long as i kept up good water quality could i leave him there?

On 8/11/2022 at 11:43 AM, LilBoot said:

I would like to grow him out a bit, but don't want to hamper him in that small tank. Realistically as long as i kept up good water quality could i leave him there?

Do you have wood / airstone in the QT tank or is it on a nano type of HoB filter?

I would say that you're fine as long as you want, but I'd be a bit more reassuring if it was a 10-20G tank. 

The pleco will more than likely hide all day and then pop out when the lights go out and the barbs and everyone are taking a nap.  He would do better in the bigger tank because it's going to have the surfaces with the aufwuchs and stuff for him to feed on.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 4:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Do you have wood / airstone in the QT tank or is it on a nano type of HoB filter?

I would say that you're fine as long as you want, but I'd be a bit more reassuring if it was a 10-20G tank. 

The pleco will more than likely hide all day and then pop out when the lights go out and the barbs and everyone are taking a nap.  He would do better in the bigger tank because it's going to have the surfaces with the aufwuchs and stuff for him to feed on.

It got a sponge filter and heater in it. I have a pvc elbow and a piece of seasoned driftwood.  I don’t want to keep him long it’s just that all the occupants of the other tank are aholes. I don’t want him to be killed because he so small. 3F88F53E-35F0-4D49-94D6-B2AEE29C9AFD.jpeg.e12bfcdfb385a60178621ac60b54b519.jpeg

On 8/11/2022 at 6:09 PM, LilBoot said:

It got a sponge filter and heater in it. I have a pvc elbow and a piece of seasoned driftwood.  I don’t want to keep him long it’s just that all the occupants of the other tank are aholes. I don’t want him to be killed because he so small. 

I definitely wouldn't worry about it one bit.  If the main tank has wood, you'll never see him in any sign of an issue.  He will camo and take care of himself like they do in the wild (hide all day, out when others sleep!)

On 8/11/2022 at 8:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I definitely wouldn't worry about it one bit.  If the main tank has wood, you'll never see him in any sign of an issue.  He will camo and take care of himself like they do in the wild (hide all day, out when others sleep!)

Thanks!  I think he has a bit of wood and a few places to hide ! Will put him in this weekend.F3D73B19-ADB9-42E2-9F72-630052A0752E.jpeg.b4559e555c8f3aa0da52077202f8f32b.jpeg

• Like 3