Which First?

OfficialThomas

I have a 20 gallon high tank (cycled) and I am thinking of getting the below fish for a community tank. I have spider wood and dragon stone and at some point want to add live plants. Which fish would you recommend for me to get first (I would rather not get them all at once)? Is this to many fish for my tank size?

• 10 neon tetras
  • 10 cherry shrimp - I DON'T have live plants yet
  • 1 dwarf gourami (or other centerpiece fish)
  • 3 guppies

Also is it ok to add live plants later on?

Thank you so much!

Edited by Thomas H

I personally would stuff your tank with plants now before getting any fish. Planting later will just be a hassle, but certainly doable. Out of your list guppies would be my first choice. Are you planning on getting only males, or are you getting both sexes and breeding? You really want to think about that. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 8:23 PM, Colu said:

I would add the live plants first let them get established then I would add the guppies or neon first them the dwarf gourami and the cherry shrimp last as they like a well established tank with plenty of biofilm to  feed on

Got it! Thanks!

On 8/10/2022 at 8:24 PM, Nanci B said:

I personally would stuff your tank with plants now before getting any fish. Planting later will just be a hassle, but certainly doable. Out of your list guppies would be my first choice. Are you planning on getting only males, or are you getting both sexes and breeding? You really want to think about that. 

I have not really thought of that. It is my first time keeping guppies. I don't really need to breed them. Like I don't want to get extra stuff so they breed but if they breed that's fine by me!

On 8/10/2022 at 9:38 PM, Thomas H said:

Got it! Thanks!

I have not really thought of that. It is my first time keeping guppies. I don't really need to breed them. Like I don't want to get extra stuff so they breed but if they breed that's fine by me!

If you have any females in the tank with any males the guppies will breed. The can easily over run your tank. Then you have to decide what to do with all the babies. Can you sell them back to a local store, can you sell them in a classified section or will you need to give them away. It can be great and it can become a nightmare. Just be aware. 

Edited by Nanci B
I got the Tank size wrong