Neon Tetra Questions

OfficialThomas

I have been doing a lot of research with neon tetras. I have a 20 gallon tank (with rocks and driftwood) and I had a few questions:

1. Do neon tetras really need lower light? I really would like to limit the amount of tannins in my aquarium.
  2. Can they live with betta fish? How so would I introduce them? Neon tetras first? Betta first?
  3. How many would you recommend to start? Can I add more later?

I know these questions seem basic and trust me I have done research but I just want to hear from some other people directly.

Thank you!

I have Cardinal Tetra which are just a bigger version of Neons really. Lighting. I have just a standard light that came with an aquarium kit- it’s very bright, but they don’t seem to mind it. There are lots of places for them to hang out in the “shade” if they want, but they never do.

my Betta gets along fine with them… I’d be more worried about the Tetra nipping the fins of the Betta if he’s a long fin type. My Betta is a plakat so they really don’t bother him.

I added my Betta last- several weeks after adding the tetra. He was the last fish I added to the tank so the others were already established and there would less of a chance of him being territorial. He now thinks he’s a Panda Cory and follows them around the tank like he’s on of the gang.

as far as numbers, they need to be in a group of at least 5-6 to feel secure, the more the better. I have a 29g with 16 Cardinal Tetra, 1 Betta and 6 Panda Cory. I think you could probably do 10 - 15 Neons and a Betta along with some clean up crew 

Edited by FLFishChik

On 8/9/2022 at 7:57 PM, FLFishChik said:

I have Cardinal Tetra which are just a bigger version of Neons really. Lighting. I have just a standard light that came with an aquarium kit- it’s very bright, but they don’t seem to mind it. There are lots of places for them to hang out in the “shade” if they want, but they never do.

my Betta gets along fine with them… I’d be more worried about the Tetra nipping the fins of the Betta if he’s a long fin type. My Betta is a plakat so they really don’t bother him.

I added my Betta last- several weeks after adding the tetra. He was the last fish I added to the tank so the others were already established and there would less of a chance of him being territorial. He now thinks he’s a Panda Cory and follows them around the tank like he’s on of the gang.

as far as numbers, they need to be in a group of at least 5-6 to feel secure, the more the better. I have a 29g with 16 Cardinal Tetra, 1 Betta and 6 Panda Cory. I think you could probably do 10 - 15 Neons and a Betta along with some clean up crew 

Thanks for the detailed response!

1) Although they may prefer dimmer conditions, they do just fine in clear water. 

2) I did have Neon tetras in the past that nipped at my betta's fins, so I would recommend short-finned bettas (females or male plakats). I agree that the betta is probably better if added last to the aquarium (so it doesn't have its territory established yet). 

3) In a 20 gallon, you can go all the way up to 20. 6 is a good minimum, but I really think they look best in schools of 10-15. Yes, you can add more later and they'll get along, but I would suggest getting them all at once because you won't need to risk bringing in multiple rounds of disease (even if you quarantine each new group). You might also get batches that are smaller or skinnier at the store at different times, so that it is also something to be aware of.