Guppies

eatyourpeas

Because it is my nature to try to learn new things, I started looking into guppies.

Guppies terrify me, simply put. They reproduce at alarming rates, even faster than “tiny terrorists”, and the thought of a new tank is in itself a big project.

On one hand, I am investigating the option of breeding them as food for my SW tank critters. On the other hand, I am questioning whether I would be able to take the cute little fish and watch them get gobbled by the likes of Ursula Flerken. 

Us Italians always complicate things as much as possible.

English: Guppy

Spanish: Guppy

Portuguese: Guppy

Italian: pesciolino delle Barbados

See?

So, does anyone purposely breed guppies as food? Am I a crazy monster for even thinking of it?

• Like 1

You are not a crazy monster. It takes a few months to get to many if you start with say 1-2 trios. I actually considered several time investing in a predator fish tank to consume excess. Then the tiny wiggly babies every stinking time wiggle right up to my had and peck me and look at me with the heartbreakingly adorable eyes and I can’t.  It does keep it in the food chain though so if I could do it I think it is ok.  I can say the denser the population of guppies get the fewer fry survive and mine are notorious for NOT eating fry. 
I felt the same way about tiny terrorists…for awhile.  Then I started feeding them to my guppies…now I have a guppy tank overrun by tiny terrorists 🙄

The adoring brave personable almost affectionate personality of guppies make them worth it. Find an lfs outlet before you start.  

• Like 1

You are not the only one considering what to do to help keep the population down.  A predator fish/critter is an idea but would be hard to toss the pretty guppies to the wild like that.  It might be what needs to happen though.  I would love to have a viable plan to share/sell/donate some extras but I have not gotten that far yet.

• Like 1

I have some guppies that reproduce at a slow rate. I have some that don’t breed like crazy and don’t grow that fast you can see in my pores space experiment how slow the grow. I’m now saying buy these from this person. They are not as gold a shown. 

Edited by Brandon p

I did talk with a lfs that would take any extra guppies I might have.  I asked if they would take them for free and they offered a store credit or more if it’s nice quality fish.  I thought that was a positive response from them. 

• Like 3