Embarrassing Story

PineSong

On 8/8/2022 at 11:18 PM, redfish said:

I started keeping detailed notes thanks to folks here talking about it.  It really does help me to keep track of what I'm doing.

Yes, I always think I will remember details and then I don’t!

• Like 1

I keep a little "cop notepad" in with my test kit stuff.  I write the test results and everything else in there, livestock I added, ferts I added, what level of salt treatment, when did I water change, when I lose a fish, the current headcount, etc.  Nothing is organized, really, except by date.  If nothing special happened I might put a little entry like this in the book:

29)  10        easy green                               (29 is the tank, 10 is the nitrate test, and I added ferts)

10)   0    5                                                    (10 is the tank, 0 is ammonia, 5 is nitrate)

QT)  .25  water change, level 2 salt             (QT is the tank, .25 is ammonia, then what treatment I'm doing)

If a fish gets sick and you do a forum post, people will almost ask you, what are your water parameters?  That's how I know.  

And sometimes I put instructions in there I want to keep - like how to mix the salt for a plant dip, or how to make medicated food for a certain illness.

I was hatching snails so I was able to look back in the little book to see when I wrote "created incubator" and "snails hatched". ETC  Then I could help people here on the forum get an idea of when their snails will hatch.

And for some reason the fact that the book is little and I can tuck it in my test kit box makes it convenient.  If it was a big notebook, I don't know why but I probably wouldn't use it.  Handheld = simple.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

I downloaded the tank maintenance spreadsheet posted here and added a few columns for extra stuff I wanted to track.  I try to keep notes too @Chick-In-Of-TheSea, added 5 pumps of easy green, added x root tabs for y plants, added wonder shell, etc along with my water chemistry numbers.  Observations on how the plants look, fish behavior, etc.  I'm sure over time I'll record less but right now it's helpful.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2022 at 7:54 AM, yosta said:

I made a excel database for it, if anyone wants a copy just ask

I use an Excel spreadsheet for my water parameters and I have forgotten to update it for about 6 weeks.  Thanks for the reminder!

• Haha 2

I do nearly a 100% water change every night on my 75 gallon discus tank and a lot of the time the siphon is just sitting there unsupervised because I can clean the bare bottom pretty quick and then just need to drain it.

Last night my parents stopped by and I forgot.  It drained down like it normally does, but I'd forgotten to turn off the heaters so they were out of the water and... quite warm... when I got back inside.  It had melted the end of my python quite a bit, but thankfully not through the plastic so it's still functional.

Whoops.

Edited by jwcarlson

On 8/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, jwcarlson said:

I do nearly a 100% water change every night on my 75 gallon discus tank and a lot of the time the siphon is just sitting there unsupervised because I can clean the bare bottom pretty quick and then just need to drain it.

Last night my parents stopped by and I forgot.  It drained down like it normally does, but I'd forgotten to turn off the heaters so they were out of the water and... quite warm... when I got back inside.  It had melted the end of my python quite a bit, but thankfully not through the plastic so it's still functional.

Whoops.

This is why we need a yikes emoji!

• Like 1