What is the right number of fish?

jazmin

On 8/9/2022 at 10:53 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’d go for 15 somewhat large Tetras, 5 Angels and 5 Bolivian rams. I’d be prepared to rehome some Rams or Angels if you see aggression. 

I think that's a good idea but 5 angels might be too much. 3 or 4 should be fine

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 6:03 PM, anitstuk said:

I think that's a good idea but 5 angels might be too much. 3 or 4 should be fine

I agree, I should have said a group of 5 juveniles that could be cut back as they grow and form pairs. In my personal 75 I’d only want 2-4 because a lot of space is taken by plants and hardscape. 

• Like 2

In my 75 I have 7-8 angels and depending on the tetras you can have a good size school of 12-24 the rams 5-7. Plus if you are going to have ottos, plecos or whatever. In the beginning you will have to test more often. I would start with small fish and let grow. The tank will adjust and should be fine. I feel most stocking recommendations are conservative. 

On 8/8/2022 at 5:31 PM, jazmin said:

I just got a second 75 gallon tank and I want to have angelfish, tetras and rams in it. What would be the right number of fishes for this tank? I don’t want make the mistake of overstocking my tank. 

AqAdvisor is a pretty neat tool to use for stuff like this.

In my 75G I had:
-approx. 20-25 Green Tigerbarbs
-3 SAEs
-1 RTBS
-25+ Panda corydoras
-2 clown plecos
-1 rubberlip pleco
-1 BN Pleco
-4-5 Borneo loaches
-3-4 random other fish (from other tanks that needed proper care)

On 8/8/2022 at 5:53 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’d go for 15 somewhat large Tetras, 5 Angels and 5 Bolivian rams. I’d be prepared to rehome some Rams or Angels if you see aggression. 

Very true.  We had to rehome an angel because it just went crazy.  Having a "few" rams will be such a cool thing.  I recommend checking out the black emperor tetras that aquahuna has. They look awesome.
-1 white cloud

• Like 2

On 8/9/2022 at 11:58 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

AqAdvisor is a pretty neat tool to use for stuff like this.

I'm personally not a fan of AqAdvisor because I don't think it's very accurate. Obviously it's the only fish stocking calculator on the internet so I have to use it

On 8/9/2022 at 12:55 PM, jazmin said:

What about male blue rams? Would it be better to just get females? 

Males are longer and have longer fins than females and females are shorter and stockier. Depends on what you want to use the tank for. Showcasing or breeding

On 8/8/2022 at 8:09 PM, anitstuk said:

I'm personally not a fan of AqAdvisor because I don't think it's very accurate. Obviously it's the only fish stocking calculator on the internet so I have to use it

More than anything, it's a tool. Just like everything it might have flaws.  One of them is that it's incredibly old and doesn't have any of the new filters.  The thought behind it is solid though and I do think it's a good tool for cataloging fish parameters and being reminded of what makes sense where. I do not agree with it in some ways, but in others I find it works pretty well.  For stocking, I'm always going to recommend a very lightly stocked tank and not having the mindset of pegging a tank to anything over "75%" in some respects.  Whatever the tool is for measuring "full".  In terms of health of the tank, less is more.

• Like 1