Need help, Shrimp die within hour of adding to tank

PattysAquatics

My cousin needs some help so I’m posting this for him. He can’t keep shrimp in any of his tanks. They typically die within the hour of adding them. He has multiple tanks and breeds rams and those are fine. I attached the test strip results. He has well water, which we are thinking is a cause because they die in multiple tanks not just one. He thinks maybe it’s the salt he adds to his well water and plans to go to RO water but any ideas would be helpful. 

449D2124-9823-4E34-9B4F-087CC8F9DFF0.png

The low GH could certainly be a problem, especially if he's introducing neocaridina shrimp (red cherry shrimp, or the other color varieties).  However, I wouldn't expect that to kill them that quickly.  Is he drip acclimating them, and if yes, for how long?

The salt could also be an issue, but I'm less familiar with that.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, JettsPapa said:

The only time I've ever used salt was when I had a sick betta. 

Is he drip acclimating them, and if yes, for how long?

This might be the single most important piece of information. I originally drip acclimated my first batch for over an hour.

• Like 1

The low GH could certainly be a problem, especially if he's introducing neocaridina shrimp (red cherry shrimp, or the other color varieties).  However, I wouldn't expect that to kill them that quickly.  Is he drip acclimating them, and if yes, for how long?

I was thinking GH is low too but agree I wouldn't think it would kill that fast?

• Like 2

@JettsPapaHe told me they died during drip acclimating them

@evilgeniushe doesn’t use salt for the tanks he actually uses potassium chloride salt substitute for his water softener for his house water. 

I’m assuming the low GH is from the potassium Chloride taking out the trace minerals from the water in the water softener but yes stumped on the shrimp dying fast. He has had issues with other fish dying lately as well. Not all but certain species he can’t keep alive. Has to be the water in some form causing it is all we can think 

On 8/8/2022 at 2:27 PM, Grizzly said:

he doesn’t use salt for the tanks he actually uses potassium chloride salt substitute for his water softener for his house water. 

Ahhh... I see. I have no experience with those. 

On 8/8/2022 at 2:27 PM, Grizzly said:

He told me they died during drip acclimating them

That's just odd. There is something in the water, copper or ammonia or something. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 2:34 PM, evilgenius said:

Ahhh... I see. I have no experience with those. 

That's just odd. There is something in the water, copper or ammonia or something. 

@evilgeniusi told him to get a copper test kit. I tested for ammonia and there was none. He has a RO system he used in the past and think he is going back to it. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:28 AM, Grizzly said:

My cousin needs some help so I’m posting this for him. He can’t keep shrimp in any of his tanks. They typically die within the hour of adding them. He has multiple tanks and breeds rams and those are fine. I attached the test strip results. He has well water, which we are thinking is a cause because they die in multiple tanks not just one. He thinks maybe it’s the salt he adds to his well water and plans to go to RO water but any ideas would be helpful. 

The first question is what kind of shrimp in particular are we talking. Each variety has different needs and different parameters.  It also will help to understand acclimation method that was used. Shrimp are and can be extremely sensitive and usually require a particularly longer acclimation if we are talking certain types.

Please also request a photo, filtration, substrate in the tank so we can have an idea of what's going on.

As for your testing results, I always have issues with the color on a few. I see that for PH and I always stare at it and wonder if it's 7.0 or 6.3 range. 

On 8/8/2022 at 12:36 PM, Grizzly said:

i told him to get a copper test kit. I tested for ammonia and there was none. He has a RO system he used in the past and think he is going back to it. 

You can get polyfilter as well and avoid having to get 4-5 different test kits for metals.  It might be the way to go for this situation as well.