How to sell fish? NOT HERE! I only want advice.

SimmonsSnailsNScales

Hey everyone. I have only been keeping my fish tanks for about six months now. I absolutely love watching my fish grow and breed. So far, I have spawned diamond tetras, cory cats, and of course guppies. I have not had the space to keep all of the fry unfortunately. 

I have however, been keeping my guppy fry in a separate tank and growing them out because I was so interested in what colors and variations would occur. This is where my issue begins. 

I have a twenty gallon long absolutely full of beautiful, well-fed guppies that are ready to find a new home. I have talked to two local fish stores and there is one more that I still have to contact. I would like to get some advice on how to have a better conversation with the last fish store because they are my last chance at salvaging the situation. 

Store #1 told me that they do not accept guppies from locals.

Store #2 originally told me they would give $0.25/fish which I was thrilled about (at the time). When the fish became ready, I went back into the store to discuss when and how they would prefer the fish delivered. They then told me that they would not be able to give me anything unless the fish look great, they might give my $10 store credit. This breaks down to $0.20/fish (roughly 50 fish). 

I am not trying to make a killing off of these fish and I am aware that my guppies are nothing special. However, I know that I have put a lot of time and effort into these fish and the store will sell them very quickly at $3-$5/fish. They will be selling the fish for at least fifteen times more than they give for them. Is this normal? I love the store to death, but I feel cheated. I did not know what to say to the store manager, so I simply thanked her for her consideration and walked out. 

I do not want to start a full-scale business breeding and selling fish, but I would like to find a way to make my hobby sustainable. I want to have fun breeding fish on a small scale, but I can't stand to deliver sellable livestock to stores and watch them turn around and make huge profit margins. 

Please feel free to comment what your thoughts are on this, and I would really appreciate advice about how I can get a decent amount for my fish once they are ready for new homes. Like I said, I'm not looking to make a living off of them. I just want a fair amount. I understand the fish store needs to see profit on their fish, but I think they should give me more for my efforts. 

Please remember I'm new. I am still learning how this community and fish business works. 

• Like 2

Remember that fish stores need to make a profit too. 

I sell my fish for 1/5 of the price the stores sells for. That way they are making a decent profit, and I am making enough to buy some food here and there. Also remember that stores have the option to bulk buy fish from wholesalers for cheap prices. 

I sold fish on Gumtree (Aussie version of cragslist) and find it to be a pain, and honestly selling to stores is much easier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @Friller. You could also sell your fish at your local fish club or local fish store. I think most Petcos and Petsmarts in America will without hesitation accept your fish. I think Ebay, Craigslist and Gumtree are good choices too since Guppies are a high demand fish because of how hardy they are. 

• Thanks 1

It is pretty common for stores not to take things like guppies, conivcts, etc simply because they are so prolific. People come to these stores all the time trying to sell them; more than the store can sell. I know it doesn't feel fair, but that's just the way it is, especially if you just have mutt guppies. Not all stores are this way, but alot are. I'd see what the third store has to say and hopefully they'll give you a better offer, but don't get your hopes up.

If you're really wanting to breed something to help support your costs, talk to one of the stores and ask them what they need from a local breeder. There is a good chance that there are some species that are popular sellers that are not readily available to them, or they always come in poor health, etc that they would love to buy from someone local who can be a good supplier.

Petco and Petsmart definitely won't pay you anything for your fish, but many will take them as adoption fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing I have heard is selling low gets you in the door and if you have a good product and build a good relationship you can talk about a more favorable price for you. If it helps you could think about it from their possible perspective of some one coming in (maybe a customer maybe not) and wanting to sell fish to them. From their perspective they are taking a risk and have to invest time and space into a product they have no idea if it is worthwhile. I want to say @Fish Folk has built up a good relationship with their LFS...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They will be selling the fish for at least fifteen times more than they give for them. Is this normal?

Unfortunately, it absolutely is. They can buy line bred/specific guppy strains from wholesalers most likely for a similar price and make huge margins on them as well.

Hi there @SimmonsSnailsNScales. Thanks for sharing your story here. I am in a situation similar to what you describe.

For me, it has been a 5-year journey getting to know everyone in my two LFS on a first-name basis. I’ve had staff over for pizzas, given them loads of fish from my fishroom on their visits, etc. Once they see I’m serious, and keep spending money at their stores, I’ll occasionally ask if they need anything… how’s the stock coming in for you from Florida or California.

One manager gives me store credit. I typically get $50-$80 and spend it on fish stuff right away. The other manager gives me cash. I’ve sometimes walked out with $100-$120. All the guppies he orders in die, so he loves mine!

I recommend…

(1) Start with being a good, paying customer

(2) Move forward developing a first-name friendship

(3) Ask if you can _give_ them fish. (Make sure they’re great fish!)

(4) Followup and learn how the fish did for them about a week later.

(5) If favorable, describe your breeding projects.

(6) Followup to let them know how your projects are going when you’re in buying things.

(7) If there’s interest, once fry are grown, casually ask if they would want to buy some to sell.

— Go easy. Remember you’re competing against fish farms with replacement guarantees, low wholesale price points, etc.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

On 8/9/2022 at 8:41 AM, Fish Folk said:

Hi there @SimmonsSnailsNScales. Thanks for sharing your story here. I am in a situation similar to what you describe.

For me, it has been a 5-year journey getting to know everyone in my two LFS on a first-name basis. I’ve had staff over for pizzas, given them loads of fish from my fishroom on their visits, etc. Once they see I’m serious, and keep spending money at their stores, I’ll occasionally ask if they beed anything… how’s the stock coming in for you from Florida or California.

One manager gives me store credit. I typically get $50-$80 and spend it in fish stuff right away. The other manager gives me cash. I’ve sometimes walked out with $100-$120. All the guppies he orders in die, so he loves mine!

I recommend…

(6) Followup to let them know how your projects are going when you’re in buying things.

(7) If there’s interest, once fry are grown, casually ask if they would want to buy some to sell.

— Go easy. Remember you’re competing against fish farms with replacement guarantees, low wholesale price points , guarantees, etc.

Very good advice! I have a very strong friendship with my LFS. Sadly he’s having to move so now I am left with bad LFS till he opens back up again. Let’s just say he will have a lot of stock when he opens up from me....

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great replies. This actually makes me feel much better that the situation isn't abnormal. I completely understand the business aspect and I hope to eventually earn their trust. 

I think I will go ahead and deliver the best guppies I have. I will make more of an effort to dedicate myself to one store and make sure I am buying supplies there often just so that they can begin to know who I am. They are all very popular specialty stores and I know they see 1000 new faces every day. Hopefully I can become one that they remember and trust. 

Thanks for all your advice again. @Fish Folk I hope your endeavors continue to grow more successful. It sound like you have a pretty good thing going for ya!

@Friller I'm sorry to hear about your fish store. Maybe you should start one 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2022 at 5:02 AM, SimmonsSnailsNScales said:

Hey everyone. I have only been keeping my fish tanks for about six months now. I absolutely love watching my fish grow and breed. So far, I have spawned diamond tetras, cory cats, and of course guppies. I have not had the space to keep all of the fry unfortunately. 

I have however, been keeping my guppy fry in a separate tank and growing them out because I was so interested in what colors and variations would occur. This is where my issue begins. 

I have a twenty gallon long absolutely full of beautiful, well-fed guppies that are ready to find a new home. I have talked to two local fish stores and there is one more that I still have to contact. I would like to get some advice on how to have a better conversation with the last fish store because they are my last chance at salvaging the situation. 

Store #1 told me that they do not accept guppies from locals.

Store #2 originally told me they would give $0.25/fish which I was thrilled about (at the time). When the fish became ready, I went back into the store to discuss when and how they would prefer the fish delivered. They then told me that they would not be able to give me anything unless the fish look great, they might give my $10 store credit. This breaks down to $0.20/fish (roughly 50 fish). 

I am not trying to make a killing off of these fish and I am aware that my guppies are nothing special. However, I know that I have put a lot of time and effort into these fish and the store will sell them very quickly at $3-$5/fish. They will be selling the fish for at least fifteen times more than they give for them. Is this normal? I love the store to death, but I feel cheated. I did not know what to say to the store manager, so I simply thanked her for her consideration and walked out. 

I do not want to start a full-scale business breeding and selling fish, but I would like to find a way to make my hobby sustainable. I want to have fun breeding fish on a small scale, but I can't stand to deliver sellable livestock to stores and watch them turn around and make huge profit margins. 

Please feel free to comment what your thoughts are on this, and I would really appreciate advice about how I can get a decent amount for my fish once they are ready for new homes. Like I said, I'm not looking to make a living off of them. I just want a fair amount. I understand the fish store needs to see profit on their fish, but I think they should give me more for my efforts. 

Please remember I'm new. I am still learning how this community and fish business works. 

In my experience, guppies are a very hard fish to sell to LFS, because common strands, that most hobbyist keep are dirt cheap when bought from fish farms. Additionally most home bred guppies, as well as most other livebearers as well, are mixed strains. When I was talking to my LFS about bringing in fish, they specifically told me not guppies for two reasons: 

• People asked to bring guppy fry back to the store which the store didn't allow as it would cause a bunch of issues (health, genetics, overpopulation) 
  • There was a local fish breeder (an older man who purely focused on guppies, platies and shrimp) with whom the store had worked since they opened and didn't allow other's to bring in the same type of fish 

This wasn't a big deal for me at the time, but, as explained in a thread I made a couple of days back, I'm planning on breeding endler guppies for profit. I will be moving to a new country and talk to the LFS in the new area about it but from my experience, they will either want pure strain that they cannot easily get elsewhere or will not be interested in them at all. Furthermore, I only received store credit for the fish I brought in (gourami and bristelnose plecos) which I found utterly unfair as I hoped to get some of the money I spent there back. 

In truth, it will be hard to sell guppies with mixed genetics to a LFS. Selling these fish online might also prove to be a challenge, especially if you want to earn more than a couple of cents per fish. The best way to get rid of them quickly is to sell them as a group to a friend, hobbyist or online.   

However don't let any of this discourage you from breeding fish in the future. Try talking to LFS before you get into breeding fish, talk to the manager and make sure the deal is solid before you start massively producing fish. The key to success is building trust, just as mentioned by @Fish Folk.     

Edited by Nik_n
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/8/2022 at 2:28 AM, anitstuk said:

I agree with @Friller. You could also sell your fish at your local fish club or local fish store. I think most Petcos and Petsmarts in America will without hesitation accept your fish. I think Ebay, Craigslist and Gumtree are good choices too since Guppies are a high demand fish because of how hardy they are. 

My local PetSmart will not buy fish from customers.  I asked last week and was told no. 😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I would do it. My LFS is terrible with the exception that they carry frozen foods. Other than that they are basically a cat and dog store with a few tanks for selling common fish. The fish they carry look terrible all the time and they won't buy from me because they had a bad experience with buying from a hobbyest in the past. Even if I didn't get much I would sure love an outlet for the guppy explosion I'm dealing with now.

Also if they do profit from your fish you will likely still get something out of it in the long run

On 8/8/2022 at 5:24 PM, neverLamp said:

Unfortunately, it absolutely is. They can buy line bred/specific guppy strains from wholesalers most likely for a similar price and make huge margins on them as well.

That's true, but some stores prefer buying from individuals because they often have healthier fish.  The store where I sell stuff even puts signs on some of the tanks that states the fish are locally bred.  It also makes buyers feel better knowing the fish were raised in local water conditions, so they're less likely to have acclimation problems.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Specialize in one or a few types of fish only, then work on making as many as you can supply the store. They might then actually start relying on your to provide "those fish". I like to find out what the stores have a hard time keeping in stock. Just make sure you can keep their supply filled.

I traded a bunch of endlers for credit at my local LFS the other day and the person in charge of purchasing fish told me that they prefer to get guppies and endlers from local sources because this way they can sell them in pairs and their customers are assured the males and females are from the same line.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, Fish Folk said:

For me, it has been a 5-year journey getting to know everyone in my two LFS on a first-name basis. I’ve had staff over for pizzas, given them loads of fish from my fishroom on their visits, etc. Once they see I’m serious, and keep spending money at their stores, I’ll occasionally ask if they need anything… how’s the stock coming in for you from Florida or California.

One manager gives me store credit. I typically get $50-$80 and spend it on fish stuff right away. The other manager gives me cash. I’ve sometimes walked out with $100-$120. All the guppies he orders in die, so he loves mine!

I recommend…

— Go easy. Remember you’re competing against fish farms with replacement guarantees, low wholesale price points, etc.

As usual, fish folk nails it with a thoughtful response.  I would add that I find it easiest to sell fish when their stock low, but before they order for the week.  If you bring in 50 amazing guppies the day before they order, the know they don’t need as many (any) in the next shipment.

I also ask before I just show up. I have the owners cell number and can just text them, but you could always call the store.  I was talking to the owner at my lfs the other day.  Turns out someone stopped into the store with a 5 gal bucket of livebearers same day as they received the shipment.  This step them up to either buy fish they did not need (or have room for) or send her away unhappy.  

the tip on asking what they need is also sage.  But don’t be too afraid to try something on the unique side.  That’s how I got into the sailfin corydoras.  The are unique, and a touch on the uncommon side.  Since the big boxes don’t carry them, and my lfs can’t get them from their distributor, they can sell them for a few dollars more.  That translates to them paying me more.  Just don’t get crazy and try something super rare, and crazy expensive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2022 at 6:41 PM, Fish Folk said:

For me, it has been a 5-year journey

Also bringing up @Fish Folk's original response . . . this is the thing to keep in mind, it's a longer term project/journey. You have to put the time in not just keeping and breeding fish, but in getting people to know, trust, and like you and the fish you have to offer.  Nothing happens overnight, at least nothing regular, like trading/selling fish to a store on a longer than one-off-sale basis. But that's part of the fun. At least to me. Having a longer term trajectory and chipping away it it over time, one little piece at a time. Gives you something to do, think about in those quieter moments, to plan for and that will occupy your time day after day.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:00 PM, Ken Burke said:

I also ask before I just show up.

I do the same. Usually I'll be at the register chatting with the owner and then I'll show them some pictures of fish I need to offload for credit and ask them if they are interested and what's the best day/time to bring them in. If the folks in the store look super busy or are with other customers, I'll browse the shelves or just try again on a quieter day. But . . . it was probably three years of shopping before I approached them for the first time. Not that I planned it that way. But this is just to illustrate that being a regular is beneficial.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 2