Coming back to fish keeping

I'm Sharmon. I live in Port Richey, Fla.

I am disabled and want to find an easier way to care for my 29 gallon tall tank. The tank was given to me 2 years ago before I became disabled. With the stand the tank is 43 inched high I am only 5 feet. I am no longer allowed on ladders or step stools.

I stopped caring for the tank it was just to hard for me. I haven't cleaned the filter, did any water changes or vacuumed the gravel. All I did was top it off. Some how the fish survived, until I dropped a water pitcher into the tank. Most of them died of swim bladder. I still have my pleco and 1 Glo-Tetra and a plant that's dying.

I'm just not sure which is easier to care for: sand or gravel, the hang on back or a sponge filter. The fish I want are male guppies, mollies, tetras and maybe danios.

Hi Sharmon, 

I am so glad to hear that you are back into fishkeeping. In my experience, gravel has been easier to care for, but this all depends on what you have. If you have plants, sand will be the better option. Guppies, mollies, tetras, and danios are great fish to keep and are very colorful. They are also very hardy and easy to keep. A hang on the back filter will probably be more efficient than a sponge filter, but again, it all depends on what filter you have. 

If you are getting all males, you won't need to worry about fry getting sucked up, but a sponge filter will be cheaper. 

Have you heard of a python water changer? They make water changes really easy because it is a long hose that connects straight to a sink. It will both syphon and fill an aquarium, making it easy if you are unable to carry buckets.

• Like 1

Sharmon it is great to have you back in the hobby and joining us on the forum!  If I may give my opinion on your questions and hopefully give you some insight.

First, substrate.  I think gravel is easiest to take care of especially when it comes to "gravel vaccing"  Much more dense so it does not get sucked up in the tube and the fish still have an easy enough time sifting through it.

Filters, I personally love sponge filters for their ease and simplicity.  When it comes to maintenance though sponge filters can in a way be more challenging because you have to pull it from the tank.  If you can accomplish that then the rest is cake as just rinse and put back.  Hang on the back filters I think are easiest to maintain to do that they are outside the tank and visible.  But harder when it comes time to clean the moving parts and then put back on the tank.

Another tool that if in your budget is a python hose water changing set up.  Instantly makes water changes easier in my opinion because it eliminates the need all together for buckets.

Good luck with the set up and hope we see you on the forum!

• Like 2

I want all the suggestions and opinions I can find. 

I have very hard water. It doesn't take long for everything to get scaled over.

Don't laugh I just realized they have black gravel.

OK I'm going to stay with gravel now how do I exchange one for the other without crashing the tank?

Hang on back filters are expensive. The one I have now might have to be replaced the inside has to be scaled over 

Once I figure out how to lower the height of the tank it will be easier for me to maintain. I thought a 55 gallon and new stand would solve the problem but I don't think it will.