Hi friends! 

I'm in the planning phases for my new 75g tank. I have settled on an Amazonian river biotope blackwater theme for this tank! 

My plans for stocking are: Angelfish, Rummynose tetra school, Hatchetfish school, and a school of Corydoras. 

As for plants I am currently only really eyeing: Amazon sword, jungle valisineria, Scarlet temple, s. repens, dwarf chain sword, and Amazon frogbit. (I am open to more plant suggestions if anyone has any!) 

My question is about lighting this tank... I don't think I can justify spending $250+ on a single fluval 3.0 when the tank/stand combo cost me only $200! I have a 3.0 on my densely planted 29g and while it's cool, it's definitely overkill and I run it at 30%-40% brightness at most. I get the impression that deeper tanks like my 75 are a different ball game w/ PAR levels. Could I get away with a single 48" finnex stingray? Should I use 2 due to the width of the tank? 

Alternatively, I've heard of great success from people improvising lighting by just using 6500k floodlights rathet than planted aquarium-specific lights. Have any of you tried improvised low-tech lighting alternatives? What was your experience? 

I tried some 'budget' lights from AQQA(I think?), and was not impressed, but none of my plants died, withered, or melted back - they just didn't GROW very well. I replaced them with some somehow even cheaper NICREW branded ones off Amazon and I cannot believe how much they have helped my plants look more healthy. You can get a full 48inch one for only like 60 bucks, and it even has a built-in timer! They also have a few different models that are similarly priced. I gotta give credit to Chris from Fish For Thought on youtube for clueing me into this brand.

https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Freshwater-Aquarium-Light-Spectrum/dp/B08SBTTBWX/ref=sr_1_9?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxb2XBhDBARIsAOjDZ3548ynJAkZOcrMSit48iO3Rf4C78Bs5h0Z56UxmvJM2amglZsSf5v8aAuVoEALw_wcB&hvadid=598922335613&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9052226&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2759604795783155415&hvtargid=kwd-643555729613&hydadcr=16199_13559659&keywords=nicrew%2Blights&qid=1659876302&sr=8-9&th=1

If I just wanted a decent light to grow most plants, I would go with this one. I would start with one light and if you wanted to try more 'High Light" plants, get 2.

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Aquarium-Automatic-Aluminum-ALC-12/dp/B0812MYYS3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=14GQ5AXA33K9S&keywords=finnex%2Bplanted%2Bplus%2B24%2B7&qid=1660054145&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=finnex%2Cpets%2C171&sr=1-2&th=1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/9/2022 at 7:56 PM, Anjum said:

One idea: you could take the 3.0 from your 29G & use it to it's full potential on the 75G & get something (less expensive) better suited to the 29G.

I like the idea but I feel like the length of the 29g vs the 48" I need for the 75 would negate that? Maybe I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 5:14 PM, asondhi said:

I like the idea but I feel like the length of the 29g vs the 48" I need for the 75 would negate that? Maybe I'm wrong. 

You're probably right, if you want full lighting on the 75. Could add a 2nd light to make up the difference, but that's probably overly complicated. 

On 8/6/2022 at 1:22 PM, asondhi said:

Hi friends! 

I'm in the planning phases for my new 75g tank. I have settled on an Amazonian river biotope blackwater theme for this tank! 

My plans for stocking are: Angelfish, Rummynose tetra school, Hatchetfish school, and a school of Corydoras. 

As for plants I am currently only really eyeing: Amazon sword, jungle valisineria, Scarlet temple, s. repens, dwarf chain sword, and Amazon frogbit. (I am open to more plant suggestions if anyone has any!) 

My question is about lighting this tank... I don't think I can justify spending $250+ on a single fluval 3.0 when the tank/stand combo cost me only $200! I have a 3.0 on my densely planted 29g and while it's cool, it's definitely overkill and I run it at 30%-40% brightness at most. I get the impression that deeper tanks like my 75 are a different ball game w/ PAR levels. Could I get away with a single 48" finnex stingray? Should I use 2 due to the width of the tank? 

Alternatively, I've heard of great success from people improvising lighting by just using 6500k floodlights rathet than planted aquarium-specific lights. Have any of you tried improvised low-tech lighting alternatives? What was your experience? 

I just finished planting out a very similar tank - actually 2 75s presented side by side with an Amazon-ish approach. 

Like you, I have a fluval3 on a 55 and don't use it much past 50% capacity. I assumed it would be similar with the 75s... same depth, right? But I am finding I use a lot more - like 90% of the yellow, magenta, and neutral white. No algae yet after several weeks. 

Cory has said this recently as well - if there is any one place to put your aquaria money - lighting. And I have no regrets about my investment.

That said, MD Fish Tanks channel just did a good video about lo-tech planted tanks, including his use of inexpensive lighting- might be worth a look. I'musing a finnex stingray on my basement tank and it's fine... but I'd probably need 2 on a planted 75.

Plantwise, another South American plant to consider is Bacopa Australis. I also used Lillopsis Brasilensis for my foreground on the planted 75, I like it. Monte Carlo is actually SA also - I got one pot from the coop last week and it was a huge amount, nice plant. My Brazilian pennywort didn't travel well in the heat, but it is also a native that can be planted or floated and has a unique look.

Good luck with your new setup - hope you'll update us.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:15 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

I just finished planting out a very similar tank - actually 2 75s presented side by side with an Amazon-ish approach. 

Like you, I have a fluval3 on a 55 and don't use it much past 50% capacity. I assumed it would be similar with the 75s... same depth, right? But I am finding I use a lot more - like 90% of the yellow, magenta, and neutral white. No algae yet after several weeks. 

Cory has said this recently as well - if there is any one place to put your aquaria money - lighting. And I have no regrets about my investment.

That said, MD Fish Tanks channel just did a good video about lo-tech planted tanks, including his use of inexpensive lighting- might be worth a look. I'musing a finnex stingray on my basement tank and it's fine... but I'd probably need 2 on a planted 75.

Plantwise, another South American plant to consider is Bacopa Australis. I also used Lillopsis Brasilensis for my foreground on the planted 75, I like it. Monte Carlo is actually SA also - I got one pot from the coop last week and it was a huge amount, nice plant. My Brazilian pennywort didn't travel well in the heat, but it is also a native that can be planted or floated and has a unique look.

Good luck with your new setup - hope you'll update us.

Fantastic! 

So just confirming... a single fluval3.0 is sufficient for your 75g? I was just concerned that the coverage front to back wouldn't be sufficient with only 1 light and that I'd need a second one. 

1x 48" 3.0 is $280 while 2x stingray 48" is $180... I could stomach the 1x 3.0 if it's good but there is no stretch of the imagination that I can afford 2 of them lol. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:31 PM, asondhi said:

Fantastic! 

So just confirming... a single fluval3.0 is sufficient for your 75g? I was just concerned that the coverage front to back wouldn't be sufficient with only 1 light and that I'd need a second one. 

1x 48" 3.0 is $280 while 2x stingray 48" is $180... I could stomach the 1x 3.0 if it's good but there is no stretch of the imagination that I can afford 2 of them lol. 

I have the lights right in the middle atm and I think it works. It's not as bright at the very back of the tank, but that works for me. I want the fish to feel like they aren't being interrogated under bright lights 🙂

20220809_140432.jpg.f4138e1dd1739cdd1094faf2fcebdfe0.jpg

I took this earlier today with a very high shutter speed, so this looks darker than it actually is. There's baby tears actually growing, so that's a good amount of light. These were just planted from 4" cuttings last Thursday and the bacopa australis is already 8"... and I just added a DIY CO2 this morning.

Before having these lights I would have considered the 2 stingrays. But I honestly love the app and programming power. Many would say not to use them, but I love the sunrise/sunset modes, especially in our bedroom tank. Took a little experimenting to minimize algae as a new setup, but was worth the effort.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:45 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

I have the lights right in the middle atm and I think it works. It's not as bright at the very back of the tank, but that works for me. I want the fish to feel like they aren't being interrogated under bright lights 🙂

20220809_140432.jpg.f4138e1dd1739cdd1094faf2fcebdfe0.jpg

I took this earlier today with a very high shutter speed, so this looks darker than it actually is. There's baby tears actually growing, so that's a good amount of light. These were just planted from 4" cuttings last Thursday and the bacopa australis is already 8"... and I just added a DIY CO2 this morning.

Before having these lights I would have considered the 2 stingrays. But I honestly love the app and programming power. Many would say not to use them, but I love the sunrise/sunset modes, especially in our bedroom tank. Took a little experimenting to minimize algae as a new setup, but was worth the effort.

Such a gorgeous tank!! Thank you so much 🙂

• Love 1

I don’t like the NICREW. I have a 

Finnex Planted+ 24/7 HLC Aquarium LED Light https://a.co/d/9mMY5yL

and

hygger Advanced Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light with 24/7 Lighting Cycle 6 Colors 5 Intensity Customize Fish Tank Light for 48-54 in Freshwater Planted Tank with Timer https://a.co/d/g33YuTJ

for the price the hygger are good and grow everything. On my 75 an one 55 I gave the finnex. The fine xx is nice because you can adjust the light down. Most people are thinking more light all the time and it’s not going to be necessary.

On 8/9/2022 at 10:12 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

If I just wanted a decent light to grow most plants, I would go with this one. I would start with one light and if you wanted to try more 'High Light" plants, get 2.

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Aquarium-Automatic-Aluminum-ALC-12/dp/B0812MYYS3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=14GQ5AXA33K9S&keywords=finnex%2Bplanted%2Bplus%2B24%2B7&qid=1660054145&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=finnex%2Cpets%2C171&sr=1-2&th=1

@Jawjagrrlhas it right about the light intensity and the ability to change the colors you use. I had my Amazon tank in my 75 and used a the finnex. When I had my heat attack I lowed the maintenance of the peat to keep going. The wood is old the tank has been up 20 years so there is much tannins left.  

Edited by Brandon p