TeeJays first mystery snail clutch has hatched!

TeeJay

On 8/22/2022 at 8:12 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Did you incubate the hard part of the clutch again?

This is what my tote looks like.

For simplicity sake you could also consider a submersible light. 

B441EED1-0330-4BB5-AAC6-9A5CC468A5A0.jpeg

70653A76-4CD5-4C22-A666-9BE5E9BE17A9.jpeg

That's a good idea I forgot they make submersible lights. I mean it's not going to be set up long term. It won't take to long to get them to the size they can be put into other tanks and rehomed. Then I can have the tote as a qt for new fish and such.

• Like 1

So got home from work a d of course I had to check on the babies. I took the turkey baster and sucked up a bunch of the gunk at the bottom.  I'm going thru what I pulled out to make sure I didn't suck up any babies. Best I can tell I did not. I'm still counting right around 11 babies. I feel that's a good start for my first time. I tried to get pics. There very blurry but I tried. Going to work on the tote tank tonight and see what I can get going.

IMG_20220822_172700102.jpg

IMG_20220822_172108133.jpg

IMG_20220822_172101795.jpg

IMG_20220822_171954012.jpg

IMG_20220822_171931384.jpg

IMG_20220822_171824613.jpg

Oh yes they will be in this tank for at least a few weeks. I'm sure I can keep the water parameters ok in that tank until they can get to at least that size. Still working out where I'm going to set up the tote tank for them.

• Like 1

Welcome to morning coffee with TeeJay. Checking in our babies. Look how big this fella is! I see 4 more in the glass right now. Sure more are hiding. But at the growth already in less than 48 hours 

IMG_20220823_065521080.jpg

IMG_20220823_065718036.jpg

IMG_20220823_070159344.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 2

When I get home from work tonight we will check water parameters again and do a cleanup of gunk and small water change. I have a few gallons of water already dechlorinated and at room temp. I don't expect to see much fluxuations yet since there still really tiny. But I'm sure the next time I blink they will be popping all over the place lol

On 8/23/2022 at 7:01 AM, TeeJay said:

Welcome to morning coffee with TeeJay

I love reading your journals so much, @TeeJay. ☺️

The baby snails are so cute! I am sure they are loving the bacter ae. Convenient you had that on hand.

Did the harder pieces of clutch do anything else in the incubator?

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 8/23/2022 at 7:49 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I love reading your journals so much, @TeeJay. ☺️

The baby snails are so cute! I am sure they are loving the bacter ae. Convenient you had that on hand.

Did the harder pieces of clutch do anything else in the incubator?

No unfortunately. I think those pieces were just not devopiing properly.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

That’s ok. That has happened to part of a clutch I had as well. It’s like half of the clutch hatched and half was hard. We can look at it as population control. 

Right. I knew for my first time around I didn't want to have 50+. This one is just a nice size to try for the first time. I think it's going to be about 12. 

Now If I find people that want more I can always try again with bigger clutches as flotsam gets more mature and produces bigger clutches.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2022 at 9:20 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

They are fun to watch, aren’t they?

Also anytime you get a clutch that you don’t plan to hatch, freeze it, then crush, then discard. This is humane and ensures no development.

Ok that makes sense. 👍

Just got done checking on the babies. Sucked out the gunky stuff fr the day before. It's so hard to do that and make sure you don't suck up a snail. So I just go after the stuff I KNOW is not a snail. Even if I can get just that out I know it will help keep the water quality stable. I found carmello of course with his chunky barely 3 day old self. And a few more tiny dots here and there moving around. I just added see bacter ae in for tonight since I know that helps from microorganisms and won't foul up the water as fast. 

• Like 3

Sorry, I'm kinda late to the party and only browsed the previous responses so idk if this was talked about. 

I read you guys talking about feeding the snails but I didn't see any mention of what I've been using. First bites. I had an interesting experience today infact. 

I decided to give them blanched veggies. I noticed only a few were on them at a time. Eventually for some reason I decided to drop in some first bites. They SWARMED it. It's like they had refused to eat the veggies and weere starving. They finished what I put in so I added more and they completed that fast too.

Took this pic of them chowing down on it. 

20220823_220930.jpg.1016ddb8f51f19068c29cc5567df4107.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 7:40 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You’ll want to keep an eye on those parameters with the powdery foods. Uneaten flake can pollute pretty quickly! It took me time to get the quantity right for my little ones. 

I end up cleaning my breeder box every other day because of using first bites. I don't mind and infact kinda welcome it because it allows me to figure out who's dead and who's alive and get rid of the dead. 

On 8/24/2022 at 4:10 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I end up cleaning my breeder box every other day because of using first bites. I don't mind and infact kinda welcome it because it allows me to figure out who's dead and who's alive and get rid of the dead. 

Right I mean it's still a guessing game on how many I still really have. I mean I know I have a few. But I don't get to catch much movement other than carmellos chunky monkey self always front and center. I'm thinking I'll end up with about 6-8 unless there is more activity when I get home.