TeeJays first mystery snail clutch has hatched!

TeeJay

On 8/21/2022 at 12:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

Woohoo 🎉 looks like I’m late to the party as usual. Congratulations 🍾🎊 

now the fun begins to pay off the patience. 😁

Yes it was a whirlwind! It all happens so fast. I felt like a chicken running with it's head cut off. I'm going to check back on them in a couple hours when there light kicks in. I put 2 small Java ferns in there to float the other day that came off my other plants. Figured wouldn't hurt to help suck up the nitrates. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/21/2022 at 4:00 PM, Katherine said:

Yes, add some more food! Do you have any powdered food? Like repashy you could put in without making it into gel first? Otherwise @Chick-In-Of-TheSea had good success with boiled egg yolk. You need a lot less than you think.

Oh yes I have easy fry food and 3 different repashy the super green would be a good choice 

Broke up the half the nano block and spread it around the bottom. Let that in there for about 24 hours and tomorrow evening when I get home from work I'll take the turkey baster and suck up all the leftovers on the bottom and start with fresh food tomorrow.

IMG_20220821_163002502.jpg

I still can't believe I have baby snails. I just had it stuck in my head that it wasn't going to be a viable clutch. Or that I wasn't incubating it correctly. Once I finally saw the little snails actually moving around the tank and alive it really gave me a sense of accomplishment. I mean I've had loads of guppy fry but theres not really much to that. This was totally different. With each passing day for the first 14 days I really didmt see anything. Then just those last 3 days it was zero to sixty. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 8/21/2022 at 4:31 PM, TeeJay said:

I'll take the turkey baster and suck up all the leftovers on the bottom

Recommending to place what you remove into a dish for inspection before you throw it out. Suuuper easy to suck up little snails; I needed a magnifying glass to tell food apart from snails, at first. Mine were soo small, like sesame seeds.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 5:16 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Recommending to place what you remove into a dish for inspection before you throw it out. Suuuper easy to suck up little snails; I needed a magnifying glass to tell food apart from snails, at first. Mine were soo small, like sesame seeds.

Good idea I'll put it into a bowl for a closer inspection before I get rid of anything.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, TeeJay said:

I still can't believe I have baby snails. I just had it stuck in my head that it wasn't going to be a viable clutch. Or that I wasn't incubating it correctly. Once I finally saw the little snails actually moving around the tank and alive it really gave me a sense of accomplishment. I mean I've had loads of guppy fry but theres not really much to that. This was totally different. With each passing day for the first 14 days I really didmt see anything. Then just those last 3 days it was zero to sixty. 

It is unnerving but you did wonderfully. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just got the grow out tote for the snails if I end up needing it. It's 70 quarts or about 17 gallons. Not sure if I will need it. Wanted one with a clear lid but this will suit for what I need. So far I only counted 12 snails. I would like more but I think that's a good first clutch to raise up if that's all there is. We shall see. Not quite sure where I can put it tho lol. Just drill a small hole in the back corner for the air like to run to the sponge filter. Would I need to drill a few more air holes around the lid for circulation purposes? I have never done a tote tank before.

IMG_20220821_195051150.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:53 PM, TeeJay said:

Just got the grow out tote for the snails if I end up needing it. It's 70 quarts or about 17 gallons. Not sure if I will need it. Wanted one with a clear lid but this will suit for what I need. So far I only counted 12 snails. I would like more but I think that's a good first clutch to raise up if that's all there is. We shall see. Not quite sure where I can put it tho lol. Just drill a small hole in the back corner for the air like to run to the sponge filter. Would I need to drill a few more air holes around the lid for circulation purposes? I have never done a tote tank before.

IMG_20220821_195051150.jpg

I drilled one hole in the center and placed a medium coop sponge in the center. I drilled a small hole in each corner but away from the edges for air circulation. 

I am finding at this size the 5 gallon was polluting and clouding. That is with gobs of water sprite that grows inches a day. A lucky bamboo and two pothos that were rooted. I moved them to an 8.75 shrimp tank with two sponges in front of a window tons of pothos a lucky bamboo and a hob with seasoned media. That is holding. I suggest getting the tote seasoned as much as possible now. I moved them due to the other snails needing a new home but I’m glad I did. Here is the pileup in their new shrimp tank 🤣

0D648193-B1E5-4F73-9286-C032E865D2BD.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 8/21/2022 at 8:16 PM, Guppysnail said:

I drilled one hole in the center and placed a medium coop sponge in the center. I drilled a small hole in each corner but away from the edges for air circulation. 

I am finding at this size the 5 gallon was polluting and clouding. That is with gobs of water sprite that grows inches a day. A lucky bamboo and two pothos that were rooted. I moved them to an 8.75 shrimp tank with two sponges in front of a window tons of pothos a lucky bamboo and a hob with seasoned media. That is holding. I suggest getting the tote seasoned as much as possible now. I moved them due to the other snails needing a new home but I’m glad I did. Here is the pileup in their new shrimp tank 🤣

0D648193-B1E5-4F73-9286-C032E865D2BD.jpeg

I need some in that designer color. Yes I'm going to set it up when I get home from work tomorrow. Try and tuck it in the corner by the other tanks. Have to do a bit of re arranging. I hope I have another sponge filter somewhere. That may have been the last one I had set up in the 2.5 gallon.

• Like 1

Just some thinking before bed. I do have a spare corner style filer I can throw in the tote tank for filtration. One of those 3 stage deals with 2 different filter pads and a bit of bio media. But then I thought I would like to have a bit of light in it at some point. 

So I thought maybe I could cut out a middle section of the lid. Say 3-4" wide by 10" long and super glue a piece of Plexi glass a touch bigger in that opening. Then I could set a simple strip light on top. The tote itself will most likely be tucked in the corner of the room on the floor so it really won't get any light otherwise. Ideas ideas. Well bedtime. We will check on the baby snails in the morning 

• Like 1

Checked on the babies this morning before heading to work. They look like the ate a fair amount of food thru the night. I'm still counting right around 12 snails. I think that's a good number for a first time dad. But that does not mean there isn't more finding around in the tank. We shall see. I'll try and get some pics when I get home from work and I'll do prolly do a 50 water change since it's only a 2.5 gal tank.

• Like 1