TeeJays first mystery snail clutch has hatched!

TeeJay

On 8/11/2022 at 8:34 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

When I did it I would make sure the bottom one was always damp, and sometimes I would change the top one. Maybe every 2-3 days. If it was just slightly damp that was ok with me. I just didn’t want it soaked. I did wipe condensation off the lid of the incubator as well.

Yes I wipe the inside lid off daily. Whenever I feel the egg clutch it never seems to be "wet" so maybe just changing the top one not so often won't be necessary.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:34 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

When I did it I would make sure the bottom one was always damp, and sometimes I would change the top one. Maybe every 2-3 days. If it was just slightly damp that was ok with me. I just didn’t want it soaked. I did wipe condensation off the lid of the incubator as well.

The oddest thing. I did not wipe the condensation this time because it did not look close to hatching and I had to much going on. It was in the tank until I put it in the incubator. It did not get that really moldy look. Also it look like the babies ate the entire inside of the clutch out. Very very little shell left just a pile of babies in the shape of the clutch loosely held together by just a hint of shell casing. I’m thinking I may not have ever kept them humid enough?  I really do not know but these hatching but not looking close really shocked me this morning when I went to pack them up for the buyer. 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 8/11/2022 at 8:45 PM, Guppysnail said:

The oddest thing. I did not wipe the condensation this time because it did not look close to hatching and I had to much going on. It was in the tank until I put it in the incubator. It did not get that really moldy look. Also it look like the babies are the entire inside of the clutch out. Very very little shell left just a pile of babies in the shape of the clutch loosely held together by just a hint of shell casing. I’m thinking I may not have ever kept them humid enough?  I really do not know but these hatching but not looking close really shocked me this morning when I went to pack them up for the buyer. 

The buyer is purchasing the clutch? Is this the second/third clutches you are incubating now or the one that hatched a week or two ago?

Would you recommend keeping the condensation as is within the incubators? I

On 8/11/2022 at 8:45 PM, Guppysnail said:

The oddest thing. I did not wipe the condensation this time because it did not look close to hatching and I had to much going on. It was in the tank until I put it in the incubator. It did not get that really moldy look. Also it look like the babies are the entire inside of the clutch out. Very very little shell left just a pile of babies in the shape of the clutch loosely held together by just a hint of shell casing. I’m thinking I may not have ever kept them humid enough?  I really do not know but these hatching but not looking close really shocked me this morning when I went to pack them up for the buyer. 

Is that the clutch you said you found and just a day later they hatched? Did they slip by and maybe were in the tank for awhile before you found them?. I mean I'm sure it's not an exact science getting the little guys to hatch. I just get over paranoid thinking I'm doing something wrong. That is the one thing I do like about live bearers. No worry just out comes fish ready to go 😃

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2022 at 8:52 PM, TeeJay said:

Is that the clutch you said you found and just a day later they hatched? Did they slip by and maybe were in the tank for awhile before you found them?. I mean I'm sure it's not an exact science getting the little guys to hatch. I just get over paranoid thinking I'm doing something wrong. That is the one thing I do like about live bearers. No worry just out comes fish ready to go 😃

Oh yes they had to have been there awhile. It was hidden behind bamboo. It just did not look at small ready to hatch. 

On 8/11/2022 at 8:48 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The buyer is purchasing the clutch? Is this the second/third clutches you are incubating now or the one that hatched a week or two ago?

Would you recommend keeping the condensation as is within the incubators? I

I always do leave the condensation for a day or so. As long as it’s not so much it’s raining in the container. When I incubate in my 74 degree tanks I wipe it maybe every 2-3 days 77degree tanks it rains in the container after a day so I wipe. This one was only in the incubator for a day or so but just above the water line on bamboo. 
I would have to hatch a few more clutches with more and less humidity than I normally do before I recommend anything because I’m not real sure. I didn’t watch this one close/stall since I did not know it was there until a day before it hatched. so it may have gotten the ultra moldy look in the day (I doubt it it looked fresh enough the day I pulled it I gently checked to be certain it was hard) I had it in the incubator . 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

• Like 2

So when the clutch is ready to hatch I know alot of you like to put them in breeder boxes at first then into the tank. I was hoping to crumble the clutch right into the 2.5 gal they will be in for the first couple of weeks until they go into at 10-15 gal tote I'll set up for them. Do you think they would have a hard time finding food with it only being a 2.5 gal?

• Like 2

Today makes a week since I found the clutch in my tank lid. I know it can be a pretty wide range hatch rate depending on diff variables. It's still pretty much the same color as when I found it. So I guess no news is good news. Just pop open the incubator once a day for a breath of fresh air and to make sure it's still in good shape. Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be ready on Monday or Tuesday when I'm off from work.

• Like 1

Ok we are 9 days in. Just got home from work and checked on the clutch. Top paper towel was pretty damp so I switched it out for fresh and did 2 more towels than I usually do to help with it becoming so saturated. No visible changes in the color of the clutch yet. Still playing the waiting game.

• Like 2

Day 10 woohoo! Ok just checked on the clutch and changed paper towels. I tried to take pics the best I could of them. They dose not see to be much change. Maybe a little on the one side where I can see just a bit of color change. Still hoping for the best. 

IMG_20220815_174353502.jpg

IMG_20220815_174222026.jpg

IMG_20220815_174335357.jpg

IMG_20220815_174238024.jpg

On 8/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I can tell it’s doing something TeeJay! A few eggs look plumper, a few eggs look like they are starting to turn white. That’s good!

Right I figured it's day ten since I found it. And I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been on the lid more than 1 or 2 days since I found it. It was right on the front corner when I open the lid. So it couldn't be there long. So 10-12 days old.

On 8/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I can tell it’s doing something TeeJay! A few eggs look plumper, a few eggs look like they are starting to turn white. That’s good!

I bet these ones will hatch soon. 

EA9BE03C-20E0-4373-82FF-F80A071CE8B5.jpeg

I didn't even catch that one when I took the pic! Hopefully it does not hatch in the incubator without me knowing it.

• Like 1

Day 11. Checked on the clutch today. No new change of color since yesterday. Sucked some of the mulm from the bottom of the 2.5 gallon that is setup and ready for them when they finally decide to make an entrance. Just a single nano sponge filter and a small piece of driftwood in the tank. Put a couple of tiny doses of bacter ae in there to help have some biofilm ready for them to nom nom on when the come. Hurry up already lol

IMG_20220816_131530381.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

It's amazing how a piece of driftwood can instantly make a tank look cool.  😎

Yes I wanted a little something in the tank to watch them climb on. If I only get a few out of the clutch I know they will be ok in there until there big enough to put in other tanks. If I have more I'll get the tub ready.

• Love 1

On 8/19/2022 at 7:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

Looks right on track. Hang in there. 🤗

I can def see how there getting more clear and some are getting more milky so I hope we will have some live ones. The 2.5 is ready for them.

• Like 3
  • Love 1