Dwarf Hair Grass - what will happen if I don’t trim ?

Hi Everyone, 

I bought and planted these 3 dwarf hair grass bushes about a month ago and even knowing I should split the bushes in small spots as a way to cover my substrate, I decided to keep them as bushes (see the picture) as I liked this visual. 

Questions:

Is it ok to keep them as bushes? Like the picture ?

Their height right now is about 5 inches and I want to keep it. Can I keep trimming at this specific height from time to time?

thank you so much for your time and answer.

B9EA3132-708D-49C9-8F56-D1173D3F7809.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 6:53 PM, Marcelo said:

Questions:

Is it ok to keep them as bushes? Like the picture ?

Their height right now is about 5 inches and I want to keep it. Can I keep trimming at this specific height from time to time?

I went through the same thing, it's difficult to know the right answer. 

You can keep the bushes if you want, but it's not optimal.  I would recommend splitting each bust into a few smaller ones. Maybe 1/4" in diameter or so is what I've usually seen and done myself.  I had one set of DHG where I didn't trim it, all melted and died.  I had another where I did trim and it still did the same thing.  It's going to likely melt back and if you can grow DHG, it'll grow.  Trimming will theoretically force the plant into new growth.  I recommend trimming it out of water as trying to net all the little blades of grass is a nightmare.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I went through the same thing, it's difficult to know the right answer. 

You can keep the bushes if you want, but it's not optimal.  I would recommend splitting each bust into a few smaller ones. Maybe 1/4" in diameter or so is what I've usually seen and done myself.  I had one set of DHG where I didn't trim it, all melted and died.  I had another where I did trim and it still did the same thing.  It's going to likely melt back and if you can grow DHG, it'll grow.  Trimming will theoretically force the plant into new growth.  I recommend trimming it out of water as trying to net all the little blades of grass is a nightmare.

Great ! What I can also do is kind of trim 5 to 10 blades per week or month so I would keep the bushes and trim old ones 🙂 this is a hobby so, let’s see right 🤣

• Like 1