Red Spot on Betta's Head?

faded.mallard

Hi all,

This is my first post on here so bear with me haha.

My male betta fish, Benedict, has a red/copperish spot on his head that I've never noticed before. I've had him since Nov 2021.

His behavior is completely normal and he ate his whole meal of freeze dried daphnia earlier today. (We love to give a varied diet in this household haha).

He is in a heated and filtered 5 gallon tank with some live plants and my apple snail, Sartre. The temperature is at a steady 78 degrees Fahrenheit. All of the parameters are where they should be (0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, about 20 ppm nitrate, pH is almost exactly 7).

I'm just wondering if someone could help me out with figuring out what this spot could be. I'm starting to think it might be new coloration, but I would like to know if it's something I should be concerned with in case I need to pick up some meds. I already have Kordon's Ich Attack on hand.

Thanks!

benedict 1.jpg

benedict 2.jpg

benedict 3.jpg

benedict 4.jpg

benedict 5.jpg

I should also mention the stuff floating at the top is the daphnia he was munching on 🙂 

there's also some crushed coral for my snail and some dragonstone hardscaping 

Edited by faded.mallard
spelling error

On 8/4/2022 at 2:55 AM, BAT said:

Hi @faded.mallard

this almost looks like an erosion of scales/ulcer. I have had this happen with my betta (also same color). 
I am asking @Colu if maybe you should use kanaplex or another antibiotic. 

It could be or it could be possible heater burn what I would do is add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table for 5 gallons at that level it shouldn't harm your plants and will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes if you notice it getting worse then I would do a course of kanaplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

On 8/4/2022 at 4:37 AM, faded.mallard said:

@Colu

Quick question: do I only add the salt once or do I need to do multiple doses? 

Keep it at that level for  a week so if you do a 5 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in to keep it at that level

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 6:49 AM, Colu said:

Keep it at that level for  a week so if you do a 5 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in to keep it at that level

Alright, I picked up all the medicines you recommended and added the aquarium salt into the tank!

I hope the salt does the trick! Thanks again!

• Like 1