Anyone ever have a snail escape?

Wet Elbows

Woke up this morning to find my mystery snail on the floor, about 3 feet away from the tank. Sadly, it was too late to save him. I've had him for a few months and never had a problem with an open tank (no lid). Not quite sure what happened but I'm guessing he found his way out, off the stand and onto the floor. Anyone else have this happen? Never kept snails before i started my planted tank so I was wondering if this is common.

Edited by Wet Elbows
  • Sad 1

I have to keep a lid on mine my mystery & nitrite are escape artist every time I have the lid off for cleaning We play chase  the whole time, and I am constantly putting them  back I lower my water level 

and both of bristolnose pelco when they were young always tried to escape if the water was high or the lid  was off, I had to lower the water level to keep them in .  And after my 1st pelco  Al died I got a  wee baby pelco he was so small   had him 1 day, and he escaped through a hole  I found him died on my counter where my tank was on   then I got Marvin  I ask for a little bigger pelco , but he liked to try to escape when he was young too when the lid was off ..  When my pelcos got older ,  bigger and fatter, they did not try to escape 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

Mystery snails lay outside of water. They also traverse rocks that grow soft algae. Mine crawl up the intake on hobs and escape that way. I’m always paranoid. I’ve found mine several time no matter how I fit my lids and barriers around filters. Luckily I check first thing every morning and last thing every night so I’ve not had deaths. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Mystery snails lay their eggs several inches out of the water. They will climb out of your aquarium, looking for a place to lay their eggs. I have lost many of them. The only way I have found to keep them in an aquarium is a lid with no holes big enough for them to escape.

I lost hundreds of them in this outdoor tank before a red-shouldered hawk finished them.

1054594721_20140812071239AquariumTuffStuff110GallonStockTankGoldMysterySnailsGuppies.jpg.77c378b48cc7930971ea70d91ae64a57.jpg

Here is an egg cluster.

1066071415_20140815065854AquariumTuffStuff110GallonStockTankMysterySnailEggs.jpg.a1513a197aa9d0c6387a2fca5e646794.jpg

• Like 2

UPDATE!!

The little guy did make it! I will admit I don't know much about snails and i just assumed they only survive in water. He looked and felt bone dry at 5am this morning so I thought ge was a gonner and threw him in the trashcan.  Came home from work and put him in the tank and within 5 minutes he was moving around!

I have a glass lid but I've kept it off for now to help keep the temperature down some. May have to reconsider that now. THANKS EVERYONE!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I did have a nerite climb out of a 10 gallon once. Found it on the floor. I guess it didn't like its quarantine tank. I knew it was unlikely to be carrying anything, so into the main tank it went and all was well.