Amano shrimp and Fritz Maracyn???

Brandxn

Recently bought Panda Cory’s and I’m pretty sure one of the babies is getting Popeye. Looks hazy with slight protruding. I have some Fritz Maracyn that I’m going to use but I have Amano shrimp in the tank and was wondering if they’ll be fine? I’ve used it before with snails. Will the shrimp be ok when I dose the tank? Don’t have a hospital tank. Also why does this happen? It is a stress thing or just a sickness. Thanks 

image.jpg

Edited by Brandxn
  • Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 10:57 AM, Brandxn said:

Recently bought Panda Cory’s and I’m pretty sure one of the babies is getting Popeye. Looks hazy with slight protruding. I have some Fritz Maracyn that I’m going to use but I have Amano shrimp in the tank and was wondering if they’ll be fine? I’ve used it before with snails. Will the shrimp be ok when I dose the tank? Don’t have a hospital tank. Also why does this happen? It is a stress thing or just a sickness. Thanks 

Should be fine.  I've used Erythromycin with my amanos and pandas many times.  I had some barbs that went to town on one another a bit too often or had wounds from the seachem tidal.

I am going to be running maracyn in about a week if you want to wait for confirmation (just send me a DM).

I wanted to ask, please take a few photos of the pandas and try to show more of the fish itself.  It might be cloudy eyes, might be what you're describing, I just think we need a better view.  Do the fish appear thin at all?  Are the eyes cloudy or specifically popped out?

It can be caused by a fatty deposit behind the eye or a bacterial issue.

Please also be sure to let us know all water parameters you can test including temperature.

Finally, is that substrate eco complete?

@nabokovfan87thank you for responding. I’d like to start dosing today or tomorrow. I’ll try and take some more pictures but he/she likes to hide in the back with the plants. But the eyes appear to foggy like a ring around the black center. And they do appear to be popped out a little or at least the foggy part. The Cory is tiny but I wouldn’t say thin I would just say small in general. I’ve used Fritz Maracyn with the Cory’s before to get rid of BGA but didn’t have shrimp at the time. And yes it is ECO complete but I also have a sand part of the tank for them to dig in. I’m about to test the water now so I’ll send you a message in a couple minutes. 

69A03F83-EEA1-4100-BA48-F13951639912.jpeg

• Like 2

@nabokovfan87Are the parameters ok?! It’s just the one that has the “popeye”. The other corys are all fine. Attaching picture below. You can see the difference between the first and second batch of Cory’s. Got the first batch in April/May and got the second batch this week. 

BA755366-4025-4C00-89E6-7DB560541F1E.jpeg

Edited by Brandxn
  • Love 1

On 8/2/2022 at 7:09 PM, Brandxn said:

I’d like to start dosing today or tomorrow. I’ll try and take some more pictures but he/she likes to hide in the back with the plants. But the eyes appear to foggy like a ring around the black center. And they do appear to be popped out a little or at least the foggy part. The Cory is tiny but I wouldn’t say thin I would just say small in general.

The cory does look very thin to me. It's fins look clamped and it generally looks pretty worse for wear.  This just means I would basically treat for everything.  The easiest thing to do is to start with Maracyn, salt, ich-X and then treating for parasites after the fish has had a little bit of time to recover. More than likely you're looking at 2 rounds of bacterial meds for this particular corydoras before you'll really see much improvement, if any.  I don't know if this is simply a genetic issue, or if this guy has just been through some pretty severe trauma. I wish him the best and I hope things improve for the both of you.  (see more on this below)

On 8/2/2022 at 7:09 PM, Brandxn said:

And yes it is ECO complete but I also have a sand part of the tank for them to dig in. I’m about to test the water now so I’ll send you a message in a couple minutes. 

I recently saw another discussion of this and it looks like eco complete is small lava rocks.  This is pretty sharp and pretty dangerous for corydoras in my opinion.  Someone else might have kept them on there and report that everything is fine, but in what I can see and have seen in previous photos elsewhere the substrate looks very sharp.  Corys will dig their nose into the substrate to look for food and the sharp fine edges on the rock are like razors to their barbels and stomachs.  If you see cuts, missing pieces of barbels, or if you see scars on them I would recommend removing them and replacing the substrate or capping it.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:35 PM, Brandxn said:

D2F90FD3-899A-4585-BFE6-E045A6454E81.jpeg

Nitrates are very very high (looks over 40 to me, potentially 30-80ppm).  Did you recently dose fertilizer?  What is your maintenance schedule and method?

On 8/2/2022 at 8:04 PM, Brandxn said:

@nabokovfan87Are the parameters ok?! It’s just the one that has the “popeye”. The other corys are all fine. Attaching picture below. You can see the difference between the first and second batch of Cory’s. Got the first batch in April/May and got the second batch this week. 

BA755366-4025-4C00-89E6-7DB560541F1E.jpeg

If you have a QT tank, I would move him immediately into a QT situation, even a bucket or tub to treat him away from everyone else.  Any sort of a plastic tub, sponge filter, that is the best way to handle this.

Depending on the size of your main tank, I would treat that as well, at least one round.  You might skip the salt on the main tank just because of the plants, but ich-X, parasite meds, and maracyn are fine to use.

Your pandas that are older definitely look healthy and look to be doing ok.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:35 PM, Brandxn said:

Temp stays at 77F

Is it possible to lower temps to 72-74?  If you haven't, please head to AqAdvisor and input all of your fish and tank settings. If you need any help please just let me know and I can help you figure it out.  It is a good tool to flag any issues and will give you a good idea of where to have something like temp, water changes, etc. and show any real compatibility issues.

Edited by nabokovfan87

@nabokovfan87 10-20 PPM of nitrates are high? The picture makes the Nitrate test look very very dark. Also thank you for all the information. Plenty to read and watch for the rest of the night. Thank you, if I have any other questions I’ll be sure to message you. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:24 PM, Brandxn said:

@nabokovfan87 10-20 PPM of nitrates are high? The picture makes the Nitrate test look very very dark. Also thank you for all the information. Plenty to read and watch for the rest of the night. Thank you, if I have any other questions I’ll be sure to message you. Thanks again. 

It very well could be lower, but it looks higher to me. It looks like a dark red, not a faint red color.  One of those things where the photo might not translate well. I put it into a colorblindness simulation and turned the dials until it was a bit easier to read.  Based on lighting, etc., it might be difficult to read for us on this side 🙂

That's why I was just trying to understand what your maintenance is like and if you recently dosed and that would start to explain the value.  Please keep in mind, 40 ppm Nitrate or below is pretty normal, but it's hard for me to tell if it's 20 or 80 ppm.