Just Got Neocaridina Shrimp

Zodiak246

On 8/1/2022 at 5:52 PM, zodiak245 said:

I just got some shrimps but they were breed outside. i have isolated them. should I be treating them with anything before adding to my established tanks?

I would not treat them if they don't show any signs of illness or parasites.

On 8/1/2022 at 6:46 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would QT them for at least 30 days and then go ahead and monitor them for signs of issues.

If you already have shrimp in the other tanks then quarantining them is a good idea.  If you don't then I don't really see a need, since as far as I know there are no diseases or parasites that affect shrimp that will also affect fish.  The only reason to quarantine them would be to make any treatment easier.

However, it's not uncommon for shrimp to struggle in new tanks, so I would only do that if the quarantine tank has been running for at least three months.  I would not recommend quarantining them in a new tank.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:42 AM, JettsPapa said:

The only reason to quarantine them would be to make any treatment easier.

Exactly.  A lot of things are easier to spot if you spend the time to do so.  It's something where you may wish you had, but it's just a situation where if you have the ability to do so, do it.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:42 AM, JettsPapa said:

However, it's not uncommon for shrimp to struggle in new tanks, so I would only do that if the quarantine tank has been running for at least three months.  I would not recommend quarantining them in a new tank.

You can also take wood / rock from the established tank and move it to the shrimp container / QT tank / Tub to ease that transition.

On 8/2/2022 at 11:08 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

You can also take wood / rock from the established tank and move it to the shrimp container / QT tank / Tub to ease that transition.

I've tried adding plants and an established sponge filter, and still lost about 3/4 of the shrimp.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:39 AM, JettsPapa said:

I've tried adding plants and an established sponge filter, and still lost about 3/4 of the shrimp.

Yeah, they will need surfaces typically with aufwuchs.  Wood, rocks, etc.  Even a handful of substrate would have some. 

Feeding, fresh water, is also pretty critical.  With shrimp and losses like that, the biggest thing I look at is acclimation.  Some people recommend hours to acclimate highly sensitive species.

On 8/8/2022 at 12:25 PM, RonBFree said:

. . .  Also, it is very important to drip acclimate them if you are moving them to a different tank.

Do you mean if we have multiple tanks you believe it's important to drip acclimate shrimp when moving them from one tank to another?  If yes, I never do that.  Unless there are significant differences in water parameters or temperature between the tanks I don't see a need for it.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 12:37 PM, JettsPapa said:

Do you mean if we have multiple tanks you believe it's important to drip acclimate shrimp when moving them from one tank to another?  If yes, I never do that.  Unless there are significant differences in water parameters or temperature between the tanks I don't see a need for it.

We don’t drip acclimate when moving from tank to tank either as our tanks a very similar in water parameters and I don’t recall ever losing any this way. About the only time we drip acclimate is when we receive Caradina shrimp which have usually been shipped in which we have minimal losses doing this. I don’t suggest this but typically with neos we bring them up to temp then plop and drop with a good success rate. 

• Like 1