Panda Corydoras Breeding

Dakotascott71

What can I do to trigger my panda corys to breed?  I have had one group of 4 spawn and two babies survived.  I didn't try to pull eggs or anything they were laid in some java moss.  I have another trio that I can't seem to get triggered.  I have tried major water changes, live baby brine everyday, and everything else I can think of.  What am I missing?

Thanks for any help in advance!

• Like 1

I find clean water, lots of high quality food, and time usually do the trick.  I feed Tetra shrimp wafers daily, plus frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp once in a while.  I also drop in a small portion of Repashy some evenings.  

how long have had the trio?  Are you sure you have 2 males and one female? Can u post your latest water test?  Pictures?

I colony breed pandas and red sailfin corydoras.  The trick is lots of plants and hiding spots, and I prefer to start with 6-10 to ensure I get a good mix of sexes. I know the internet says keep it to the trio, but I have yet to find any panda eggs in my tanks.  My red sailfins deposit on the glass all the time, but when my panda start acting like the are frisky all I find is nothing.  I suspect they are depositing their eggs under have fern leaves.

It took my sailfins almost a years before they spawned. I though I had tried everything. Water changes, check.  Good worms, check. Cool water changes, check.  I even waited to do a water change just in time for a spring storm.  Then I moved them to a different tank. Bingo.  I do think they spawn better in the spring, but all my colonies (3; 2 panda, one sailfin) are thriving and spawning regularly

@Guppysnail also breeds pandas, she my have other thoughts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 6:34 PM, Dakotascott71 said:

What am I missing?

🐛 🪱 WORMS

My panda will not spawn no matter what without worms. I use frozen blood worms or hikari tubifex worms (I stick the cube to the bottom front of the glass video of mine so you can see where I squish them on the glass) after a cool water change and I get eggs. No worms =no eggs no matter what I do. Good luck. If worms don’t work increase your population. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 4:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

🐛 🪱 WORMS

Yeah, just increase feeding, especially something like worms / frozen brine / vibrabites right after the lights go out.  They tend to go bananas all night after that.

^^ That little amano shrimp is the bravest shrimp ever!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 5:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

🐛 🪱 WORMS

My panda will not spawn no matter what without worms. I use frozen blood worms or hikari tubifex worms (I stick the cube to the bottom front of the glass video of mine so you can see where I squish them on the glass) after a cool water change and I get eggs. No worms =no eggs no matter what I do. Good luck. If worms don’t work increase your population. 

Are those freeze dried tubifex? I've never tried those before. I've used other freeze dried foods, but none of my fish will touch them. Maybe I'll have to try those.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2022 at 11:26 PM, dylaneff1 said:

Are those freeze dried tubifex? I've never tried those before. I've used other freeze dried foods, but none of my fish will touch them. Maybe I'll have to try those.

Yup freeze dried tubifex from hikari. None of my fish pay any attention to other types of freeze dried. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:06 AM, Brandon p said:

Try a breeding mop. Mine like tons of plants, but I think my next tank I set setup I’m going with an empty tank with breeding mops. 

If you can get them to spawn in the mops, pulling the eggs would be a breeze!  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...