Methlyn Blue Questions

awd79

Hi everyone-

Was running a quarantine on some new fish.  20G cycled tank and running for months, no plants I added about half a capful.  Kinda guessing the 2 teaspoon measurement.  Anyway, tank is very blue.  I am not sure if I added too much and what I should do.

I also added Erythromycin and General Cure.  Only filtration is sponge and HOB with sponge, no chemical.

I read after the fact not to mix with Erythromycin but no where does it say what happens.  I also they read after on the bottle it can cause an ammonia spike.

Should I do a water change to dilute?

image.jpeg

On 7/30/2022 at 6:28 PM, awd79 said:

Hi everyone-

Was running a quarantine on some new fish.  20G cycled tank and running for months, no plants I added about half a capful.  Kinda guessing the 2 teaspoon measurement.  Anyway, tank is very blue.  I am not sure if I added too much and what I should do.

I also added Erythromycin and General Cure.  Only filtration is sponge and HOB with sponge, no chemical.

I read after the fact not to mix with Erythromycin but no where does it say what happens.  I also they read after on the bottle it can cause an ammonia spike.

Should I do a water change to dilute?

image.jpeg

I would do a water change but chances are it will lessen the effect of the other meds. I’m not too familiar with methylene blue but usually I wouldn’t mix meds unless extensive research has been done to prove they’re safe together. Like the co-op trio for example. I would do a water change and put some carbon in there. Maybe the fish will be fine with all the meds but I personally wouldn’t want to risk it. I usually only add meds if I see something visibly wrong with the fish

Over dosing Methylene blue  can effect scaleless fish and have teratogenic effects causing functional changes to the swim bladder  of larval angelfish  I wouldn't recommend mixing it with other medications 

On 7/30/2022 at 7:42 PM, Colu said:

Over dosing Methylene blue  can effect scaleless fish and have teratogenic effects causing functional changes to the swim bladder  of larval angelfish  I wouldn't recommend mixing it with other medications 

For anyone else that needed to look this up 🤣:

Definition of teratogenic

: of, relating to, or causing developmental malformations
  • Haha 2