This will be my first attempt at a journal. I currently have a 29gal guppy tank with a 10 gallon guppy grow out tank. I wanted to try something new. So I'm setting up a 10 gal neo shrimp tank. Thanks to everyone who gave me tips and advice to get started. 

I just started setting it up today. So it's only been filled and started the first sponge filter. When I cleaned my hob from the 29 I put all of the dirty tank water from it into the shrimp tank to help jump start the cycle. So the first pics will come one the tank clears up. 

I will be ordering an additional sponge filter and plants soon as well. It's going to be a slow process but I want to make sure I have it well seasoned before I get some shrimpy friends. So stay tuned for all the fun!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

So I let the tank settle from adding in the sponge juice from my 29 tank. Still a bit dusty but looks much better now. It's just a rough start. Will still be moving things around and putting in plants. But it has begun!

IMG_20220610_070142393.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 3

On 6/10/2022 at 10:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ooh! @TeeJay I am excited!  I have never had a shrimp tank before and am happy to keep up with your journey with this habitat! 🦐  Things are nice and coated with the "juice" particles, so that's great!

Yes it was filter cleaning day so I figured I would put it to good use. Waiting on my second sponge filter to come in. That way when I clean one I'll always have one seasoned. My first time for shrimp to. I told my daughter she could pick what color we would do. I want it to set up for at least 6 weeks before we get our shrimpy friends.

• Like 3

So I had a couple of baby Java ferns ready to come off of one of my main plants. So I figured no better time than to add them to the new shrimp tank. A little color always brightens up the day.

IMG_20220610_181636727.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Going to a local fish show/auction tomorrow. Hope to find some nice plants and some decor items to further enrich the new shrimp tank. I'll post anything I do get here afterwards. And I'll be sure to not buy shrimp yet. Have to stay patient and diligent.

Started ghost feeding 2 days ago. Just lightly to help get the cycle started.

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1

Today we find the addition of some java moss. Brought it over from one of my other tanks. I think the shrimp will appreciate it more. Thinking of picking up 2 mystery snails for it as well. Let them work there magic and help the tank season as well. Just ordered some bacter ae to help with the seasoning process as well. I plan to dose one a week to get the ball rolling.

IMG_20220612_171823702.jpg

• Like 2

Yes to almond leaves. I have not used Adler cones. I would wait and put the leaf in a few days before your shrimp. Mine swarm to them to eat them about 2-3 days after I put them in tanks. I guess putting one in now would not hurt either. I’m in total agreement on the fry food and repashy vs spending money. Leaves plant money 😁

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Since it's going to be in the low 90s here for the next few days I'm going to hold off on ordering my new plants for the shrimp tank. Don't want to cook them before they arrive. Looks like next week's temps will be better.

On 6/12/2022 at 8:13 PM, Guppysnail said:

Yes to almond leaves. I have not used Adler cones. I would wait and put the leaf in a few days before your shrimp. Mine swarm to them to eat them about 2-3 days after I put them in tanks. I guess putting one in now would not hurt either. I’m in total agreement on the fry food and repashy vs spending money. Leaves plant money 😁

Yes I have become quite the plant junky. You know this lol

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 8:15 PM, Guppysnail said:

Shrimp love to decorate hornwort like Christmas lights. 

Well if that hornwort I got from you keeps doing well I'll have some of that to put in there as well. Amazing how one small clipping can grow 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 5:24 PM, TeeJay said:

oday we find the addition of some java moss. Brought it over from one of my other tanks. I think the shrimp will appreciate it more. Thinking of picking up 2 mystery snails for it as well. Let them work there magic and help the tank season as well. Just ordered some bacter ae to help with the seasoning process as well. I plan to dose one a week to get the ball rolling.

Mystery snails really do like java moss

I also heard FritzZyme is very good for seasoning tanks.

Great start! That's going to be a shrimp paradise. I really like the branches. I'll be following along as I'm planning on starting a shrimp tank soon too! 

I saw alder cones mentioned. I've used them, they grow all over here. They pack a lot of tannins in a seemingly small package (they have a ton of surface area though if you look close). I used 1 cone in a 5 gal & it colored the water right up. 

Dried leaves are great for shrimp too. They quickly grow the biofilm they like. Cattapa are the obvious choice. But I've been looking into gathering my own. I'm still researching this, but it looks like gathering fallen dry leaves in the fall is the safest bet. Oak are widely recommended, they also contain tannins. Also maple are good, as are most any fruit tree leaves. 🌿

• Like 2

So we have a new addition to the shrimp tank. 2 new gold mystery snails. One is out and about already. The second is still hiding in its shell for now. See if it will come out soon. Taking suggestions on names.

IMG_20220613_155343795_MP.jpg

• Like 1