On 7/29/2022 at 7:03 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I mentioned earlier in that other thread some place the corys might like to lay.  Some moss here would do nice too, especially with how that wood is shaped.

image.png.b29c3b56b959874a42795d1587119b36.png

I'm excited to see what happens!  I might have to make some repashy tonight 😂

Yes I have a small bit of moss I'm going to take from the shrimp tank and tuck it in next to that wood and let it do it's thing. Yep I love all the repashies. The green community and grub pie.

• Like 2

Having the morning coffee. Off work today. Just checking on our Cory friends. Having a little breakfast. Lest see how they look! Going to get a bit of Java moss and tink it into the one crack of the driftwood to see if I can get it to grow over the nice wide flat side and hopefully they will like to spawn it n it. The wood it will go down n is in the last pic. Alot of nice surface are to it. Will just have to keep it trimmed so it does not overgrown the Anubias. Great idea on this @nabokovfan87

IMG_20220730_072024175.jpg

IMG_20220730_071603071.jpg

IMG_20220730_070505721.jpg

IMG_20220730_072337173.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Morning all. Just having sex coffee. Off work today. Thought we would check in on our shrimpy friends. With each day they are out and about more. There are 15 in the tank. The most I have seen out and about at one time has been about 7. They love staying in the drift wood alot of times. But they have no problem coming to the front glass and cruising by. Put a small chuck of repashy in there food dish to see how they do with it today.  Working on getting them to come to the dish for meal times. This time I put the dish into the gravel so it's level with the substrate to see if that helps them to come over. If not we know flotsam and jetsam have no problem eating it. Such pigs 🤣

IMG_20220730_072559998.jpg

IMG_20220730_072522893.jpg

IMG_20220730_071709904.jpg

IMG_20220730_071339131.jpg

IMG_20220730_071203652.jpg

IMG_20220730_071005030_MP.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1

I’m interested to see what happens with the green pepper and if the shrimp and snails like it.

I haven’t tried that with my snails yet, but they do like boiled red cabbage. 

Oh also you might have a bit of a typo in your post. See if you can find it. 🤣

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 1

On 7/30/2022 at 7:43 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m interested to see what happens with the green pepper and if the shrimp and snails like it.

I haven’t tried that with my snails yet, but they do like boiled red cabbage. 

Oh also you might have a bit of a typo in your post. See if you can find it. 🤣

Yes that was the stupid auto correct. Never did go back and fix it. I was wondering when someone would say something lol

• Haha 2

On 7/25/2022 at 7:30 AM, TeeJay said:

Got up this morning to check on our new shrimpy friends. They seem to be adjusting well. Swimming all around and hopping on the backs of there mystery snail friends. Of course there little buggers to get pics of. Maybe when it's feeding time I can get better shits of them 

IMG_20220725_070745644.jpg

IMG_20220725_070908586.jpg

IMG_20220725_071418206.jpg

There’s another typo in here, but who’s counting?  I never said anything because I think it’s funny. 🤣

On 7/30/2022 at 11:46 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

There’s another typo in here, but who’s counting?  I never said anything because I think it’s funny. 🤣

Well apparently someone is counting.🤔😂 I'm street smart not book smart.

On 7/30/2022 at 1:36 PM, TeeJay said:

@nabokovfan87 got the Java moss tucked into the split in the driftwood. Hope I can get it to grow up and around the forks. Just keep it trimmed around the Anubias so it can grow as well. Hope this will make a nice piece of spawning driftwood.

Yeah, the biggest difficulty is waiting for things to grow in.  Here's mine....

Looks terrible but there's new growth happening, so that's progress!  One day this algae will go away.

20220730_150433.JPG.c050d5747df411ca22b42ec973a6346b.JPG20220730_150442.JPG.eef9f8423f38da593a1b1b11c1cd0443.JPG

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yes I have a bit of hair alge going on myself. Been doing some small doses seachem excel. Seems to be slowly killing it off. I just want to make sure it does not get a stranglehold on my plants. I dropped a floating water sprites in there as well from another tank. Soak up some more nitrates as well.

On 7/30/2022 at 6:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, the biggest difficulty is waiting for things to grow in.  Here's mine....

Looks terrible but there's new growth happening, so that's progress!  One day this algae will go away.

20220730_150433.JPG.c050d5747df411ca22b42ec973a6346b.JPG20220730_150442.JPG.eef9f8423f38da593a1b1b11c1cd0443.JPG

Before you know it that moss will cover all the wood. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, TeeJay said:

Yes I have a bit of hair alge going on myself. Been doing some small doses seachem excel. Seems to be slowly killing it off. I just want to make sure it does not get a stranglehold on my plants. I dropped a floating water sprites in there as well from another tank. Soak up some more nitrates as well.

It always looks 100x worse when you try to take photos.  Maybe I just need new glasses. 

Today is cleaning day, waiting for a box, but I think I'll have to use the toothbrush and give it a good clean.

The CO2 seems to have helping to "soften" the algae if that makes sense.  I feel like I'm dumping CO2 in there and I don't really see high levels of CO2 on the drop checker and I'm working through all that stuff now.  I found a slightly helpful article and it's difficult to get things settled on the tank for me.

I highly recommend the pecktec toothbrush cleaning method. Especially for this type of algae.

On 7/30/2022 at 6:44 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It always looks 100x worse when you try to take photos.  Maybe I just need new glasses. 

Today is cleaning day, waiting for a box, but I think I'll have to use the toothbrush and give it a good clean.

The CO2 seems to have helping to "soften" the algae if that makes sense.  I feel like I'm dumping CO2 in there and I don't really see high levels of CO2 on the drop checker and I'm working through all that stuff now.  I found a slightly helpful article and it's difficult to get things settled on the tank for me.

I highly recommend the pecktec toothbrush cleaning method. Especially for this type of algae.

Well I need to learn up on that method. I thought about trying CO2 at one time. I know a tank lasts forever but I know it's just something else I need to get dialed in and a good balance. Is it really worth the time effort and more importantly the money?

@TeeJay have you seen this. For setups that are not large and that you wish to keep simpler and more affordable than co2 injection. Takes care of algae and gives plants a boost. I do not/have never used co2 and my plants do just fine with a bit of patients. 
more gizmos means harder and more money and more chance of something going awry. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 7:55 PM, Guppysnail said:

@TeeJay have you seen this. For setups that are not large and that you wish to keep simpler and more affordable than co2 injection. Takes care of algae and gives plants a boost. I do not/have never used co2 and my plants do just fine with a bit of patients. 
more gizmos means harder and more money and more chance of something going awry. 

You know I have seen this post but I hadn't had a chance to read it yet. But that seems well easy enough for just the cost of seltzer water. I'll grab some at the store the next time I go and give it a try on my flame sword to start to see how it does. Throw it in my one gallon pitcher I used at water change time and see how it does.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 4:38 PM, TeeJay said:

Well I need to learn up on that method. I thought about trying CO2 at one time. I know a tank lasts forever but I know it's just something else I need to get dialed in and a good balance. Is it really worth the time effort and more importantly the money?

It's a variable to "play with" so to speak, but depending on the tank using an in-line diffuser or using a reactor is much more efficient.  You can run 2 diffusers on the same tank for something larger as well.  For me, it's very much worth it because it opens up a lot with regards to what you can keep in the tank for me.  A lot of people have success without CO2, but obviously I'm not doing something right 😂.

I'll eventually get it back and going.  Moss is growing, took me over two years to get back to that. So I'm happy!

In regards to your question though, it's worth it..... yes, absolutely! I would not mess with anything cheaper / more work than the full CO2 systems and I really don't recommend them at all for any hobbyist who wants to play with CO2.  The Ocean Aquarium method is what I would suggest, but they still use a normal CO2 tank.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 11:05 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's a variable to "play with" so to speak, but depending on the tank using an in-line diffuser or using a reactor is much more efficient.  You can run 2 diffusers on the same tank for something larger as well.  For me, it's very much worth it because it opens up a lot with regards to what you can keep in the tank for me.  A lot of people have success without CO2, but obviously I'm not doing something right 😂.

I'll eventually get it back and going.  Moss is growing, took me over two years to get back to that. So I'm happy!

Maybe one day I'll give it a try with just a plants only tank. I think that could be interesting. Especially with some of the red plants like Scarlett temple and such. Try that and tinker with it before I go to one with fish.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 8:09 PM, TeeJay said:

Maybe one day I'll give it a try with just a plants only tank. I think that could be interesting. Especially with some of the red plants like Scarlett temple and such. Try that and tinker with it before I go to one with fish.

To give you an idea... after 1.3 days of CO2 (forgot to plug it back in) nitrates went from 30 --> 0

• Like 1

So as I enjoy my coffee this morning. Pondering the mysteries of the universe. I'm watching the Cory's as well. And before I drop a little freeze dried daphnia in I'm noticing how much more active they are. I mean the always scoot along the bottom searching for yummy morsels. But now there going mid water and top water more. 

I think it could be mostly because the guppy's are out of the tank. And I believe they are getting used to me watching and being around more. There tank sits next to the shrimpy tank so I have been over here more observing on a daily basis. And I know they like to search other surfaces for food as well not just the bottom. It is fun to see them all over now. 

IMG_20220731_074016694.jpg

IMG_20220731_074441574.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/31/2022 at 4:49 AM, TeeJay said:

I think it could be mostly because the guppy's are out of the tank. And I believe they are getting used to me watching and being around more. There tank sits next to the shrimpy tank so I have been over here more observing on a daily basis. And I know they like to search other surfaces for food as well not just the bottom. It is fun to see them all over now. 

Yeah, that's one of my favorite reasons to challenge someone to sit in front of their tank for 15+ minutes.  They take a few minutes, but they definitely will begin to ignore you as they have and that is a great bonus as a fishkeeper.  I think you're also spot on, less activity on the tank means they are more comfortable to explore.  They will always be a little hesitant, but big bushy plants like you have mean that they will feel a little bit more safety in the midwater regions.  This also gives them more places to lay!