Angelfish size before able to eat neons.

Fishkeeper125

IMO angelfish like most fish will eat whatever fits in there mouth. So at a quarter size neons will be safe for at least a year possibly much longer. An angelfish would have to be a big adult to eat a neon. But to answer your question when the angelfish is big enough that you say to yourself I bet that fish could fit a neon tetra in its mouth it probably will. 

I agree with FrostiesFishes. 

Angelfish are a type of cichlid. Though that does not mean they are very aggressive, they can eat any fish that fits in its mouth. 

There is not really any way to keep the angelfish from eating the neon tetras, even if you feed them well. You should be fine for about a year or so, but after that, you should remove the neon tetras if you want them to live.

I have had several angelfish and despite what others say I have seen first hand that they are capable of eating neon tetras and rummynoses. In my case, I had a large group of neons that was whittled down and then stabilized perhaps because the remaining neons were the fastest/smartest. Curiously, the neons eventually started to nibble on the fin streamers of the adult angelfish.

While individual fish temperament will vary and I'm sure some setups are successful, I wasn't happy with the angelfish + neon tetra combo that many people recommend and I eventually moved on from it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Green Thumb Aquariums said:

I have had several angelfish and despite what others say I have seen first hand that they are capable of eating neon tetras and rummynoses. In my case, I had a large group of neons that was whittled down and then stabilized perhaps because the remaining neons were the fastest/smartest. Curiously, the neons eventually started to nibble on the fin streamers of the adult angelfish.

While individual fish temperament will vary and I'm sure some setups are successful, I wasn't happy with the angelfish + neon tetra combo that many people recommend and I eventually moved on from it.

I've had the exact same experience with a solo angel in a 20H preying on neons. They're a natural predator in the wild as well. I think it takes a much larger tank to reduce this behavior and a much larger school where you don't notice the few that get picked off.

• Like 1

My demon koi angel, Bo, chases even full grown mollies and swordtails around the tank.  He never catches them, and probably wouldn't know what to do if he did, but he's a little terror nonetheless.  I should mention he's about silver dollar size.  Natty, his tank mate, is totally chill and actually appears to yell at Bo when his being mean, and then he calms down.