Shrimp help

JessLynne7

Amanos shrimp. I have four out of 10 left and they are huge. I have never found a body so I know they are eating the dead shrimp.

but are they eating dead or live shrimp? I added malawa and one is left the biggest one. The smaller shrimp let’s are gone. No bodies. I swear the amanos are eating them. I have more shrimp coming today and I am afraid to add them.

help

On 7/28/2022 at 9:18 AM, JessLynne7 said:

Amanos shrimp. I have four out of 10 left and they are huge. I have never found a body so I know they are eating the dead shrimp.

but are they eating dead or live shrimp? I added malawa and one is left the biggest one. The smaller shrimp let’s are gone. No bodies. I swear the amanos are eating them. I have more shrimp coming today and I am afraid to add them.

help

I had one of my shrimp seem to disappear on me but there’s a large amount of factors that come into play. Shrimp eating live shrimp is extremely unlikely. It is possible they’re eating the dead ones

-Water parameters. Make sure ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are at safe levels. Make sure the water is slightly harder for the shrimp. Amanos May climb out of the tank of water parameters are unhealthy 

-Make sure you’re feeding them

-Make sure they aren’t with any large fish 

-Some shrimp get stressed by transportation and die. I had that happen with 1-2 of my amanos after I added them into my tank

On 7/28/2022 at 9:26 AM, Zac said:

I had one of my shrimp seem to disappear on me but there’s a large amount of factors that come into play. Shrimp eating live shrimp is extremely unlikely. It is possible they’re eating the dead ones

-Water parameters. Make sure ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are at safe levels. Make sure the water is slightly harder for the shrimp. Amanos May climb out of the tank of water parameters are unhealthy 

-Make sure you’re feeding them

-Make sure they aren’t with any large fish 

-Some shrimp get stressed by transportation and die. I had that happen with 1-2 of my amanos after I added them into my tank

Water is good. I hardly even register nitrates due to the plants. My ph is a little high at 7.6 and kh at 80 that could have cause die off of Caradina species. The Malawas  are just gone 7 of them poor gone. I have 20 wild neos coming.

I want to see if they like my water better but I am still scared the amanos are snacking.

they are 100 percent snacking on dead ones since I don’t find bodies in or out of the tank.

😢

On 7/28/2022 at 10:09 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'd be very surprised if amano shrimp are attacking live shrimp.  Ghost shrimp, on the other hand, will attack and eat other shrimp.

So I guess like 15-16 shrimp died and the super large amanos ate every single dead body before I found the dead shrimp!? Idk it’s a mystery 

• Confused 1

On 7/28/2022 at 12:55 PM, JessLynne7 said:

So I guess like 15-16 shrimp died and the super large amanos ate every single dead body before I found the dead shrimp!? Idk it’s a mystery 

I tempted to take them out and toss them in another tank and see how it goes with this new shipment bc 7 malawas added a few weeks back are just disappearing I am afraid I’ll kill the amanos moving them. Ugh decisions

On 7/28/2022 at 6:18 AM, JessLynne7 said:

They (amanos) won't eat live shrimp.  In my tanks I had a PH/KH swing that caused some deaths.  Double check equipment and verify everything is good with water.  It could be some issue where they aren't able to molt and die or just something else they would be sensitive too.  Usually when one dies, they don't even eat them at that point. It will happen eventually, but not immediately.

On 7/28/2022 at 6:50 AM, JessLynne7 said:

Water is good. I hardly even register nitrates due to the plants. My ph is a little high at 7.6 and kh at 80 that could have cause die off of Caradina species. The Malawas  are just gone 7 of them poor gone. I have 20 wild neos coming.

Yeah.... that PH can be fickle. 😞

Do you notice any of them with redness on the shells?

On 7/28/2022 at 1:56 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

They (amanos) won't eat live shrimp.  In my tanks I had a PH/KH swing that caused some deaths.  Double check equipment and verify everything is good with water.  It could be some issue where they aren't able to molt and die or just something else they would be sensitive too.  Usually when one dies, they don't even eat them at that point. It will happen eventually, but not immediately.

Yeah.... that PH can be fickle. 😞

Do you notice any of them with redness on the shells?

I used to have a lot of ph problems and issues but I started mixing crushed coral W my substrate and all my tanks and now my ph stays at 7.6 maybe a 1-2 degree variance but that is rare. It was a life saver for me actually.

I added the shrimp and watched and watched the huge shrimp left the little shrimp alone today even near the food. I guess they just eat the bodies when the croak before they croak.

• Like 1