platy fish enquiry

SC Fish

So i dont want my platy's to breed anymore, they breed like bunnys.

i have 2 or 3 platys

1 is adult the other 2 are babys.

when im back from italy ill be moving all the platys + minnows into a 20 gallon , but not the female platys.

i wanted to move the 5 gallon inhabitants into the 10 gallon (that the platys and minnows are in now)

but now im wondering if i can put 3 female platys in a 5 gallon tank?

the adult is quite small , she is 1.5 years old and is only around 3.5cm long , and when im back from italy the babys will put on size. unless they die, which is possible.

so is this a big enough tank? - obviously planted and meeting their natural requiremnts as well as possible.

or would i need to put them into the 10 gallon, maybe get some more inhabitants too? 

my issue is, i wanted the 10 gallon for the endler guppy live bearer because they fight and i want more to break up the fighting, i only have 3 after one passed with a fungal disease. so im in quite the pickle. i am prepared to upgrade the 5 gallon eventually. but not soon. maybe a few months into 2023.

any help/opinions is welcomed . thanks 

If you are positive that the three platy are female AND that none of them might be "with fry" then a 5 gallon tank would be OK for them. Not ideal, but not terrible either.  Note, platy can hold fry for a couple of months.  I moved all of my male platy from a tank, natural BC after taking 18 fry to my LFS, and the remaining two females produced more fry for a couple of months after, sigh...  I suggest putting the females into the 5 gallon tank as a temporary measure, then move them into at least a 10g tank when you can.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:29 PM, PaigeIs said:

If you are positive that the three platy are female AND that none of them might be "with fry" then a 5 gallon tank would be OK for them. Not ideal, but not terrible either.  Note, platy can hold fry for a couple of months.  I moved all of my male platy from a tank, natural BC after taking 18 fry to my LFS, and the remaining two females produced more fry for a couple of months after, sigh...  I suggest putting the females into the 5 gallon tank as a temporary measure, then move them into at least a 10g tank when you can.

Thats the plan 🙂

thanks! 

• Like 1