Keeping fish in a rented apartment

Nik_n

Hey,

I soon moving into a new apartment with a friend of mine, because we are both starting university in summer. The apartment is great except one thing. They don't allow pets. This is somewhat of an annoying thing for me because I have been keeping fish for the last 6 years and really enjoyed it. I planned to continue when I went to uni but I'm not sure about it now. I'm planning to ask the landlord, if having an aquarium (60-100l) would go against to contract. I have heard mixed opinions on this as the only real damage can be cased by a leaking tank and that is unlikely to happen if the tank is properly made. 

I would like to know if anyone had a similar problem before and how they dealt with it or if anyone has any helpful advice. 

Thank you  

• Like 1

Usually what "no pets" means is things like cats and dogs that will do actual damage to the unit and bother the neighbors. Fish wise they tend to just have a gallon limit (usually nothing over 40 gals. Ask the building manager). Ask the manager if you like. Personally, I've never asked and I have personally never had a problem with keeping animals that live in glass boxes in apartments. Even when I didn't ask prior to getting the animal (don't get frogs. They will croak, and your neighbors will complain). 

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Like 2

You have to check the lease agreement for details and if it is not in there, get landlord clarity in writing. In college our apartment had a policy of no pets written into the lease but the office published an exception for fish tanks up to 10g and eventually it was written into the next year's lease for all units in the community. 

• Like 1

If it were me, I'd just come out and ask the Landlord about it. Better to know upfront if it's allowed than to get thee, set up tanks and then find out it's not and risk it.I've had Landlords that were fine as long as the tank(s) were 5 gallons and under... I've had Landlords that were absolutely against it... it just depends. But, if they have a 'no pet' policy... I take it as NO pets until you can confirm with the Landlord if an aquarium would be acceptable

• Like 4

It's understandable to be wary of large aquariums. Water damage is not pretty. And the risk is never 0%.

When asking, if asking, maybe describe it as not large. This is even true, I think; 100l would probably be considered medium. 🙂

(I wouldn't ask, but be set to remove it fast and humbly in case of complaint.)

Edited by darkG
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 10:45 PM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

Usually what "no pets" means is things like cats and dogs that will do actual damage to the unit and bother the neighbors. Fish wise they tend to just have a gallon limit (usually nothing over 40 gals. Ask the building manager). Ask the manager if you like. Personally, I've never asked and I have personally never had a problem with keeping animals that live in glass boxes in apartments. Even when I didn't ask prior to getting the animal (don't get frogs. They will croak, and your neighbors will complain). 

Normally I wouldn't ask, we didn't for the past few apartments, but since I'm a student apparently he has the right to check in once a moth to make sure everything is as agreed and I don't wanna take any risks without speaking with him further. But I agree, I wouldn't think an aquarium/terrarium would be a problem in apartments.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:47 PM, FLFishChik said:

If it were me, I'd just come out and ask the Landlord about it. Better to know upfront if it's allowed than to get thee, set up tanks and then find out it's not and risk it.I've had Landlords that were fine as long as the tank(s) were 5 gallons and under... I've had Landlords that were absolutely against it... it just depends. But, if they have a 'no pet' policy... I take it as NO pets until you can confirm with the Landlord if an aquarium would be acceptable

Thanks exactly what I was thinking, I wouldn't want to risk it, especially because I would be buying brand new equipment 

• Like 3

I don’t know how strict they will be but my university had a one gallon tank limit for fish (so you could probably sneak by with a 2.5). The other places I’ve started at made an exception for fish tanks, although if it’s not a really longer term location I would strongly suggest sticking to nano aquariums since water changes and moving will be much easier.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 2:09 PM, Nik_n said:

Normally I wouldn't ask, we didn't for the past few apartments, but since I'm a student apparently he has the right to check in once a moth to make sure everything is as agreed and I don't wanna take any risks without speaking with him further. But I agree, I wouldn't think an aquarium/terrarium would be a problem in apartments.

Thanks exactly what I was thinking, I wouldn't want to risk it, especially because I would be buying brand 

Are you living in university housing?

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 12:10 AM, Expectorating_Aubergine said:

Are you living in university housing?

No it's an a privately rented apartment, as far as I know other people in the building are not students but the previous tenants were students   

• Like 1

I would settle in and be perfect tenants and then after Christmas (because that will save sorting out fish care while you visiting family) broach the subject with the landlord.

By then you'll be through the very hectic freshers period and know how intense your course and social life is likely to be and also if you have room for a tank in the apartment (space is very different when you're living in it).

And remember to check your flatmate is happy with the idea. 

Be prepared to pay an additional bond to cover potential water damage and your flatmate might not want to split that with you.

Fish and tanks are a pain to move I'd be very reluctant to add one to anywhere before I knew I'd be there for years.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 1:46 AM, Pepere said:

I am a landlord with a no pet clause in the lease.

If someone were to ask me if they could keep fishI would make sure they knew what they were doing first and then work with them if they were knowledgeable.  I would write stipulation in lease.

the tenant would have to get renters insurance that would cover water leaks and have me listed as payee in case of water damage.  I would have to approve location and size for structural issues.

I would also have written in that I could inspect from time to time as needed.  As confidence was built  the inspections would fall off.

But fishies don’t bark and don’t scratch woodwork…

I was hoping to hear form a landlord. I understand that you would want to be wary of the possibility of water damage, however that the risk is minimal compared to other pets. I will look into renter's insurance for sure, thanks for bringing it up. 

• Like 1

depending how the building was built and the floor weight can also be an issue. 60l isn't that large but in my case i have 120 gallon aquarium which is quite a bit heavier. As for damage; if the floors are eng wood; a leak as small as 4 gallons can cause $20,000 of damage EVEN if you are in the room when it happens and immediately wipe it up. I know first hand... - also depends how the floor was installed.

• Like 1

I came home from a holiday once to a half empty 60G and a lot of dead fish. That place stank I was ripping carpet out at midnight.

This was from an issue with the canister filter hose not the glass tank. Happily my insurance covered this as a leak and replaced everything, but just adding this as odd things can happen and tank water leaks are far worse than a clean water leaks. Landlords are cautious for reasons.

And 30G is a lot of water when it gets out of its box. 

Edited by Flumpweesel
spell check
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the advice. I will keep it all in mine and do my research before buying anything. I have talked to the landlord and I'm allowed to keep an aquarium as long as I cover the damage if there is any. 

I am planning to ensure, in every way possible, that the risk of any leaking is minimal. I was planning on using an internal filter or maybe a sponge filter rather then a canister and just to be extra safe, I would add an extra layer of aquarium safe silicone on all the edges to ensure no water leaks. Would this be worth doing? I think silicone can stick to older silicone as long as it's cured properly.   

For a tank that size sponge filter or matten filter all the way. Also fishes love sponges. For a plain sponge fitler I usually get square ones that fit near the corner and put a stone under them so fishes can hide under them - but i have the sort of small agile fish that loves to hide under sponges (two example are small dwarf cichlid and small loaches - like kuhli - don't expect that 8 inch clown loach to hide under one but then again it would need a larger tank 😉

I am most definitely going to buy a new tank. I'm not sure if it will be an acrylic tank as those are usually more expensive. I was planning on putting a second coat of silicon on a new thank in case there are any flaws. I will most probably go with a small internal or a sponge filter as I have the most experience with those, safe space and are relatively cheep