Blue gularis killifish are AMAZING

JasonWasko

Finally remembered to get on this forum!  Looking for people's experiences on keeping are breeding Blue gularis killi. Not many mentions on here about them,  which is surprising.  I have been trying to get them FOREVER and finally landed a pair at a fish swap last week. They're even better in person! I'm baffled that they aren't the most popular fish ever. Great color, patterns, personality and size.  Everything i ever wanted.  My plan is to breed these guys I'm curious what other people's experience has been with them.  Thanks in advance, and stoked to be here. 

Jason 

20201022_171927.jpg

Edited by JasonWasko
Adding photo
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

I’ve kept and spawned 4-5 killifish Species using both peat incubation and just Letting the fry hatch in the tank with the adults. I’ve actually hatched blue gularis loe eggs that I got off aqua bid. And got them to adults and spawned that group. I used spawning mops on the bottom. Then I pulled the eggs and incubated on Peat or coconut fiber. Removing the bad eggs daily. Hatching them is kind a trial and error by wetting the eggs at 3-6 weeks depending on Temp and how they looked. You’ll see What killifish breeders call eggs being eyed up. You’ll see little fish eyes in the eggs, that’s when you wet the eggs. if they are ready they’ll hatch. If they don’t Hatch just put them back on the peat and wait and try again at a later date(trial and error). The fry will take bbs right away. but I also feed vinegar Ells the first week or so till I’m sure they are taking the bbs. The other way is much less work. The fish will spawn, you provide Bbs and plant cover.  java moss works well I also used riccia. The adults will eat the fry so as soon as I spot fry I’d collect and move. The peat method advantage is you’ll get a group of fry around the same size. Any questions feel free to message me.A Picture of one of my males.384E245E-878C-4317-8391-64DE1DE1BDA1.jpeg.29d6655a250bfce7c0be06ee8ab69710.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@FrostiesFishes thanks for the response. Ive done the peat moss method with gardneri before. Im curious as to what age/size they are sexualy mature. My male is about 3 inches and the female is just a bit smaller.  Did you condition them with BBS or chase any parameters to induce breeding? I do have fairly hard water out the tap(over 200ppm GH) but I do produce RODI  for certain projects.

Also what strain of blue gularis is yours? 

Edited by JasonWasko

I feed frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. They should be spawning at that size or very soon. Are you using mops? What is the spawning tank setup like? And mine are collection point loe. I got them off aquabid

WWW.AQUABID.COM

AquaBid.com: Item # fwkillifish1603628411 - LOE Blue Gularis Fundulopanchax sjoestedti...

Interesting to see this thread. I had never heard of them until a few days ago when I came across a pair for sale on Ebay. They arrived yesterday and the listing said that they were 4-5cm so I expected to open a box to find 2 smallish fish. Instead they are nearly full adult size, the male is at least 8cm to the start of his tail. They're amazing looking fish. 

• Like 1

This is a fish that I have been wanting to acquire for a long time. the problem has been that when I have tank space for a pair or two I can't seem to be able to find any. I had always been afraid to buy form aquabid, but I see so many people buying from there and getting nice fish, so I may just have to search on there and get some fish or the eggs to hatch

• Like 1

Andy, I would rather buy locally, but for some of the rare stuff I use aquabid and eBay. that seller in particular Jim K/ sellfishguy I’ve got a lot of killifish/eggs off And I highly recommend the guy. I had a bad hatch of some Eggs once and he sent me a replacement group of eggs for free. He’s a nice guy. Killifish are super underrated I’m the hobby. Just make sure you have a lid with no way for them to jump out! 

• Like 1

@FrostiesFishesoh yeah they've been hitting the blood worms hard. I currently have a super low stock 125. With 8 boesemani a few Florida flag fish. Ph around neutral, around 200ppm Gh, 79° heavily planted. They seem happy as they were only hiding a few days and are out and about quite a bit now. 

I'll probably throw them in a 10 when its time to make a breeding attempt but I'm just letting them acclimate to my water currently. I just saw a Steenfot aquatics youths video with Randy Reed where he was trying to breed blue gularis as well. The method he was attempting was just a 1/2 inch of #3 gravel in a tank, and gravel vac the eggs out for hatching, no peat moss. Honestly I might try both methods to experiment.

@Andy's Fish Den i was in the same boat. My LFS had a pair he was keeping in the store to breed.  Explicitly not for sale, I swear he was fish teasing me lol.  They both ended up  jumping out of their tanks unfortunately.  So for sure keep a good lid.  After seeing them in person I had to have them but could never pull the trigger on aquabid as it seemed like a hassel. Luckily an out of town store brought some to the fish swap last week and I picked up the pair for $50. I don't understand why these aren't in every store EVER. By far my favorite fish I own currently.

2 hours ago, FrostiesFishes said:

Andy, I would rather buy locally, but for some of the rare stuff I use aquabid and eBay. that seller in particular Jim K/ sellfishguy I’ve got a lot of killifish/eggs off And I highly recommend the guy. I had a bad hatch of some Eggs once and he sent me a replacement group of eggs for free. He’s a nice guy. Killifish are super underrated I’m the hobby. Just make sure you have a lid with no way for them to jump out! 

I will have to keep that seller name written down as one to look for.

I have some gardneri and gold australe killi right now, so I know what you guys mean with having a lid. I bought the gardneri at an auction last fall three pairs and didnt have a lid and I lost two femals and a male overnight because they jumped!

• 9 months later...

I first saw this fish on a YouTube fish tour of LRB's fish room (the tour was on Prime Time Aquatics).   I also was totally amazed by that fish. 

I don't know if there's a way to get in touch with LRB, but I think he was breeding them.