End supported aquariums

Scot

Hi,

I noticed from some of the older aquarium co-op videos that Cory designed the show room racks to support the aquariums from the ends only. I wanted to ask about how that design worked out over time? I also wanted to ask, what aquarium sizes are suitable for this sort of racking and at what point should one consider runners along the front at back as well? How about decorations? Do you still find it safe to load the aquariums with rocks and such?

I hope my question is clear enough and that I could get a thoughtful answer in reply. I am considering designing a fish room and any such experience would be very helpful.

thanks,

Scot

Rimless aquariums = The stand should support the entire base of the tank
Rimmed aquariums = The stand should support the outside corners of the tank and not put any pressure on the bottom glass.

I believe on this one he shows off the tour of the tank stands themselves.

@nabokovfan87 that's for all aquariums? you would trust that on say a 125 gallon?

That's a 6ft length of silicone bead holding a 2ft head of water without support any along any of its length.

I did watch that video. In fact, it's the video I was referring to in my original post.

Edited by Scot
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 10:28 PM, Scot said:

@nabokovfan87 that's for all aquariums? you would trust that on say a 125 gallon?

Anything over a 29G, 30" long, I kind of would try to support it somewhere in the middle as well.  The point is though, you support the outside of a rimmed tank, the entire base of a rimless tank.  As an example, this is for rimmed aquariums.

These are both for a 75G aquarium.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61pSNRpLZdS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Imagitarium Brooklyn 55 Gallon Metal Tank Stand | Petco

Here's a good example of what you're looking for.