Stocking a 36g bow front aquarium

RickyMartin98

Hello everybody! I have a 36 gallon bow front aquarium that I am currently aquascaping. I’d like for it to be a community tank and I already have ideas of what I’d like. I’m just not sure the quantity that my tank size will allow. Obviously I will cycle the tank properly and slowly introduce the fish over the span of a couple months. My current list includes 

-12 rummy nose tetras

-9 chili rasboras

-6 zebra danios

-5 Kuhli loaches

-1 honey gourami 

I was hoping to add one more species just for some more variety. Possibly a Siamese algae eater or a bristlenose pleco. Also, I’d like to add some more to one of my schools but I’m concerned about overstocking. If anybody has any tips or even species suggestions it is much appreciated!!

Sounds good but zebra danios are QUICK.. Honey Gouramis might not be quick enough to compete for food and same goes for the Kuhli Loaches. If you spread out the food, it should be perfectly fine. If you want to add another species, try Cherry Shrimp.. Good Luck!

On 7/25/2022 at 6:54 PM, anitstuk said:

Sounds good but zebra danios are QUICK.. Honey Gouramis might not be quick enough to compete for food and same goes for the Kuhli Loaches. If you spread out the food, it should be perfectly fine. If you want to add another species, try Cherry Shrimp.. Good Luck!

Oh I did not know that, definitely something I will pay attention to when that time comes. Rather than adding another school, maybe I could add to the rummy’s or chilis? Without adding another species, how many more rummys or chilis could I add? 

On 7/26/2022 at 11:29 AM, RickyMartin98 said:

Oh I did not know that, definitely something I will pay attention to when that time comes. Rather than adding another school, maybe I could add to the rummy’s or chilis? Without adding another species, how many more rummys or chilis could I add? 

I honestly don't recommend adding more fish but invertebrates with small bioload.. If you aboslutely want to add more fish, add maybe 3 or 4 more chilis so they can school better and more confidently..  

Edited by anitstuk
  • Like 1

Not sure what plants you are planning, but Bristlenoses will mow sword plants down.  I love both bristles and swords, but just be advised, keep them in separate tanks! 🙂

Also, this is pot calling kettle black (I’m guilty as charged) but I have finally come to realize how much more interesting a smaller number of species is. I have a 75 that has some really cool fish in it, but the huge diversity of species makes it hard to watch just one. It’s like ADHD all the time. 

I recently set up a 33 long that only has ember tetras in it, it’s fascinating to watch them shoal and interact in a way that they won’t when they have other species to contend with. 

But, as always, this hobby is about YOU and what YOU want to see and enjoy. If you want a carnival tank, go for it! It’s how I’ve come to decide what I really like keeping and what I wouldn’t keep again. 

Austin 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 7:52 PM, B7gwap said:

Not sure what plants you are planning, but Bristlenoses will mow sword plants down.  I love both bristles and swords, but just be advised, keep them in separate tanks! 🙂

Also, this is pot calling kettle black (I’m guilty as charged) but I have finally come to realize how much more interesting a smaller number of species is. I have a 75 that has some really cool fish in it, but the huge diversity of species makes it hard to watch just one. It’s like ADHD all the time. 

I recently set up a 33 long that only has ember tetras in it, it’s fascinating to watch them shoal and interact in a way that they won’t when they have other species to contend with. 

But, as always, this hobby is about YOU and what YOU want to see and enjoy. If you want a carnival tank, go for it! It’s how I’ve come to decide what I really like keeping and what I wouldn’t keep again. 

Austin 

I was probably just gonna do a carpeting plant with some moss on the rocks and maybe a plant or two with some color, so nothing too crazy. I’ll definitely make sure the plants are compatible with the pleco if I did decide to go that route. I understand the ADHD aspect haha, it’s just my first tank so I’m excited and want ALL the fish😂 I’ll look into maybe getting rid of a school so I can add to the remaining 2 schools. Thank you all for the input!!! 

• Like 1