Anyone see a potential problem doing this?

Wet Elbows

Hello again! I am basically starting over (see my previous thread for more info on that disaster) and I just heavily planted my 10g and I'm trying to get better CO2 distribution. I've tried multiple different configurations between my filter and diffuser locations and i could never get my drop checker lighter than dark green even up to 3bps.

I just placed the diffuser directly under the internal filter so about 80% of the bubbles get sucked into in, broken down to smaller bubbles and distributed throughout the tank thru the outlet. 

20220725_180825.jpg.f4a83990a977b8f7b74d17e791b4346c.jpg

Does anyone see an issue with doing this? The only issue i could think of would be the possibility of wearing down the propeller over time. Luckily these Nicrew internal filters are fairly cheap on amazon if that does happen. Not many options to increase flow in such a small tank imo. Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

• Like 2

I waited to reply for others to chime in since I’m not familiar with co2 injection.  I would monitor parameters close though. I’m not certain if it would in this case but seltzer from co2 (reverse respiration thread) kills living organisms.  I don’t know if direct prolonged contact with co2 injection would interfere with your beneficial bacteria and biological filtration. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the carbonic acid from the CO2 mixing with water will hasten the wear on the impellor and or impellor shaft. Other than that, there should be no issues. It'll get diluted very quickly in the main tank, but at the impellor things can get a bit more intense. It won't be an instant or quick thing, but there will be more wear over time.

• Like 1

In my 55, I recently moved my diffuser back toward my canister filter intake. I was kinda wondering the same thing, if the CO2 would be bad for the filter bacteria.

Seems to be fine. I'm only at about 1bps for that big tank, and I think there's so much more O2 that the CO2 doesn't bother the bacteria.

First time trying it though. And it's only been a couple weeks.

• Like 1

I best place to put it is not near the intake but the out fall. You going to get the best distribution through out the tank. Having the CO2 through the filter can chase the co2 to break near the surface. Since you don’t a in line system that’s not an option. One of the best ways is though a power head if yo can. I think if you have not other better options then  by the intake is ok but not the best way. The biggest issue you will have is if you have carbon in those filters as activated carbon/charcoal will remove CO2 . It won’t remove it all but you will get less bang for the buck

• Like 1