wet sand in a dry tank.

Greggle

i was supposed to set up a tank for someone tomorrow and i just thoroughly rinsed about 20 pounds of BDBS and just found out that i have to wait until next week. can i just put the wet sand in an empty aquarium for the week. i have a seeded sponge filter i intended to give them, so i'm just going to leave that in one of my tanks until then. will the sand stay wet? get moldy?

Edited by Greggle

@nabokovfan87 is right on I used to grow plants this way. Just the sand wet and cover with good plactic wrap. If you can use restaurant quality it works great.  You may crate your own mini climate. Watch for mold. That really only happens when the sand is wet and zero air if you see some remove it. And make a small opening in the corner very small. 

On 7/23/2022 at 11:35 PM, Greggle said:

i was supposed to set up a tank for someone tomorrow and i just thoroughly rinsed about 20 pounds of BDBS and just found out that i have to wait until next week. can i just put the wet sand in an empty aquarium for the week. i have a seeded sponge filter i intended to give them, so i'm just going to leave that in one of my tanks until then. will the sand stay wet? get moldy?

You could also just fill the tank with water for the week - and drain it when you are ready to move it next week. Might be a bit more work, but should remove the worries of the sand. I also use the BDBS in some of my tanks - it has always worked great!