How Long Would You Quarantine?

April0617

I just ordered a group of kubotai rasboras from a great fish store in my state. He takes great care of his fish and is insanely knowledgeable. He has already quarantined these guys for a month. Do you think I should do anther full thirty days when they get here? They were wild caught. 

If it were me, it would depend. If they are being added to a tank that has nothing else in it - no other animals, then I might go ahead. But, if there were already others  in the established tank, I would quarantine. But I’m always super cautious.

• Like 1

Yes. Definitely qt.   Shipping stresses fish. Stress lowers immunity. So even though they were qt there may be something present that they were unaffected by that with a lowered immunity will take a toll.  Introducing stressed immune weakened fish to a new tank stresses them further and they could fall to something already in your tank that an otherwise healthy unstressed fish would not be bothered by. I always think it a kindness to new fish to qt.  Beef them up and destress them from shipping /transportation before they are stressed further by being introduced to new tank mates. Hope that helps. 
30 days is my recommendation.

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Since they've already undergone a thirty-day quarantine, I might shorten any new quarantine period to a week or so and see how they're doing. If they're looking good, no issues, eating well, no deaths, gaining weight and growing, I'd be confident moving them in with the other fish after just a week or so of additional quarantine. I'd feed the heck out of them to be sure they're eating well and fattening up. If they looked good after a week, I'd plop them in with the others. There's always some risk no matter how long you quarantine a fish, but for fish that have already undergone a thirty-day quarantine then an additional week or so, you should be fairly safe.

• Love 1

On 7/23/2022 at 9:32 AM, gardenman said:

Since they've already undergone a thirty-day quarantine, I might shorten any new quarantine period to a week or so and see how they're doing. If they're looking good, no issues, eating well, no deaths, gaining weight and growing, I'd be confident moving them in with the other fish after just a week or so of additional quarantine. I'd feed the heck out of them to be sure they're eating well and fattening up. If they looked good after a week, I'd plop them in with the others. There's always some risk no matter how long you quarantine a fish, but for fish that have already undergone a thirty-day quarantine then an additional week or so, you should be fairly safe.

Did you quarantine then for 30? Or the place you got them.? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding 

On 7/23/2022 at 8:38 AM, Brandon p said:

Did you quarantine then for 30? Or the place you got them.? Sorry if I’m misunderstanding 

The place I'm getting them from has quarantined them, they'll be coming to me this week😊

First you are good ing to get a lot of answers just a heads up. 
If it was a tank that Didn’t have fish I was super word about like a irreplaceable fish I would do 30. If it was just a tank that had common fish and I trusted I would do a week. That said I have gone straight in the tank as well with no problems. I have only one LFS that I can do that with. The one thing with many stores is the filter football tanks are connected. In many the QT is separated and once they hit the banks of the tanks the filtration mixes for that bank of tanks. If your store does that I would be more inclined to QT for the 30(very PC)[with my Patience one week]. I think you will get more 30 days more. 

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1

I totally expected varying opinions, I like to hear them all 😊 He's mostly a breeder, and only just very recently opened up a small store front, I haven't seen the store yet, but I've seen his fish room and it was beautiful, everything running tank by tank and everybody very healthy. I assume that's where these guys have been quarantining. I think I'll definitely do at least a couple weeks and see where they are at. I don't have anything fancy, but I love my hillies and would hate for anybody in my tank to get sick. 

• Like 1