Breeding Five Banded Barbs!

sushi

Hello! I have had some Five banded barbs for about a year and I've always wanted to breed them, but i never knew how! Hoping someone here has bred them and can give me some tips on how i can do that? Cheers! 😉 (p.s the image is quite old, don't worry they've grown over 1.5 inches now)

_MG_8188.JPG

Edited by sushi

I know a couple things about breeding fish and I know that barbs normally like to be in big groups when they want to breed. Most barbs will like to be in acidic water and I would use mosses and big gravel so when the eggs are hatched, the barbs can't eat them. I would try them in a 5 gallon so that they are "motivated" to breed. So a 5 gallon tank with gravel and moss, catapa leaves or anything to lower the ph, a box or sponge filter, and something for the females to hide in. The males will generally keep on trying to breed even after the females have spawned. You do not want to let the females be too stressed out from being chased. Thats pretty much what I would do

• Like 1

Greg sage has a great series on YouTube about breeding Odessa barbs. @Cory Also has a fish room video tour of Greg’s operation that’s an awesome watch. With that being said that’s probably where I would start. I know it’s not the same fish.But I promise you’ll pick up tips and tricks that you’ll use in your Project with the 5 banded barb. Greg has a ton of great content related to breeding fish. 

• Like 1