Fluval Stratum to Crushed Coral Ratio

Hello there! My name is Guillermo and im from Southern California. Im new to this community, and, to fish keeping too (started december 2021). Im starting a new 120 gallon tank(i currently have a 20gallon) and i would appreciate any advice in regards to fertilizer. Im planning on filling a few large bags(similar to the ones that hold matrix) with fluval stratum and laying them on the bottom of tank, then adding my colorado small pebble substrate to aquire the 2-3inches of depth im aiming for. My pH of my tap water is around 7.4. My question is, since i know the stratum will lower my pH, how much crushed coral should i add in order to balance it back up to the original pH im aiming towards(7.4/7.5)? Is this 100 percent trial and error or is there some kind of baseline i can use. For example: x amount of crush coral for every x amount fertalizer, etc? Thank you all for your time and I look forward to being part and contributing back to this community!

On 7/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I would just not use the stratum or the coral. Stratum strips KH out of the water and coral adds it back. You will also raise GH by using coral. 

My water is already very hard so thank you for the heads up. It sounds like root tabs would make my 120 gallon experience alot more enjoyable. Thanks you for the feedback, much appreciated