Confusion regarding the next tank size!

sushi

Hello! So I have been in the hobby for about a year and the largest tank that I have ever had was a 15 gallon, I always kept trying new fish with that limited space and now feels like a good time to move on to a bigger sized tank but I am so confused! Should i get the next size up? Like a 20-29 gallon, or directly go for a 55-75 gallon . The reason that i am considering such big sizes is because i feel like i can definitely handle the maintenance and cost that goes behind it but I don't want to make the wrong decision. Feel free to leave any suggestions, It would really help me a lot! Thanks in Anticipation!

5 hours ago, sushi said:

Hello! So I have been in the hobby for about a year and the largest tank that I have ever had was a 15 gallon, I always kept trying new fish with that limited space and now feels like a good time to move on to a bigger sized tank but I am so confused! Should i get the next size up? Like a 20-29 gallon, or directly go for a 55-75 gallon . The reason that i am considering such big sizes is because i feel like i can definitely handle the maintenance and cost that goes behind it but I don't want to make the wrong decision. Feel free to leave any suggestions, It would really help me a lot! Thanks in Anticipation!

I think a better question is: “What aquatic life do you want to keep.”  I want to get a 75 gal so I could try discus, and to better accommodate some of my larger plants.  But you could easily go with several smaller tanks if you are drawn to live bearers, apistos, etc. With several smaller tanks you can keep/breed a larger variety for the same cost and space.   

I guess I’m saying let the fish drive the tank size, over having the tank limit the fish.  

• Like 1

@sushi, I think @Ken Burkebrought up great points with his post.  

What do you plan on accomplishing with a larger aquarium?  What types of fish, plants or whatever do you have in mind, etc?

For me, picking out a new aquarium is part of the fun.  So many choices & possibilities.  😊

Take your time & do some research as well.  

Since you already had a 15 gallon aquarium, you have experience with smaller tanks, so that's a plus.

The type of aquatic life will have a strong bearing on the tank size.

Keep us posted.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe consider a 40 breeder as a nice interim. It’s large enough to feel like a significant upgrade, but still small enough that it’s not a gigantic burden to get all the gear. It can handle much larger fish than you’re used to, or a lot more fish of the same size. It’s a great shape. 

Me personally, I wouldn’t just bump the size up to 20-29, but I don’t know if I would’ve liked jumping right to my 75. It’s taken much longer to acquire the plants and scaping materials, it’s deeper so it’s harder to reach the bottom, stand was harder to source, more filtration needed, etc. I love it now but it was good to get the 40 going steadily first. 

• Like 1

As @DaveSamsell it depends on what you want to do.

I might suggest a few other things to consider.

1. How long do you plan on staying where you are currently living? If you will only be there through the end of your lease then a big tank makes less sense. If your life is more settled, then a big tank is a better choice.
  2. What does the floor under that tank support? If your location is not near a load bearing wall, then you should look into reinforcing the floor before you install the tank. I did this with my tank by installing a column in the basement under the tank. Water is 8.3 lbs per gallon. Which means a 55g tank weighs 456.5 lbs of the water alone! Add tank, decor, filtration, stand... you are well over 500 lbs in a very localized spot.
  3. Is the tank near a doorway where the outside temp will make temp regulation in the tank challenging?
  4. is the tank getting alot of outside sunlight? This may cause high algae growth.
  5. Do you have any pets and or children who could potentially pull the tank over due to 'energetic play'?

In general you want a nice stable calm supportive spot for your tank which will be good for the fish and you!

Good luck!

• Like 2

Also consider the depth and how hard or easy it will be to do maintenance. I got an aqueon 45-gal which is a good size aesthetically (36x12x24), but at 24" deep it is hard to reach the bottom. I have to stand on a ladder and can only use one hand, as the other hand has to hold the wall since I end up in a precarious position leaning over the tank. Using the giant vacuum is a real PIA, too. I kinda wish I had gone with a max 18" deep tank. At my age I know I will need to keep up with balance exercises, but that I suppose is part of the emotional therapy this project provides. 

• Like 1