5.5 Gallon Shrimp Tank Mini Build

LilBoot

So, went up in the attic last week to store something and ran across my old marinland portrait 5.5 gallon aquarium. It was a gift from my kids a few Father’s Day past. It was meant to upgrade my betta 2.5 gallon temp tank he had been happily living in. Unfortunately, as he was a full fin guy, the height of the tank was not the best environment for him. I ended up upgrading to a 20 long planted. I retired the portrait and hadn’t thought about it since. Anyways I have been trying to test my hand at shrimp. I have a few cherrys in my community tank, but want to dive head first into Cardina shrimp. Now I haven’t a clue how I’m going to solve my hard water issue, but here is the first step. 

I cleaned and setup the portrait on my dresser. I used the small bag of fluval  stratum, and an old lava rock that had been removed from my old tank. I had a cycled filter from another tank, but went ahead and wrung out another sponge to muck up the tank real nice. Going to run the lights for 16 hours a day for the next 2 weeks see if I can get some good algae growing. I’ll add some plants, reduce the lights and introduce the shrimp probably around August 7. I’m going to Aquashella in Dallas that weekend and will probably have all kind of goodies to add. 

If anyone has shrimp experience, add sees me doing something incorrect, please feel free to drop a line in the thread.

99434744-5DA7-4747-9788-D362E4C51F4C.jpeg.a91cac385b2cfe260cb6a458ce97030b.jpeg31885CC0-B0FA-4474-A2AE-09057B43E014.jpeg.7ad941ee03adc2672413e95c2e1ee757.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wrung out another filter sponge into the tank earlier this week, made a complete disaster of the tank…however the tank is full cycled and has a good amount of algae growing…going to try to pickup my shrimp this weekend. 62D3FD1D-03EB-4A3B-AD2F-831A27037AA0.jpeg.a9487e0bbbb06d084db7097eb554ef49.jpeg

• Like 2

Went to Aquashella this weekend, loaded up on plants, a few fish, and of course found the shrimp for this project. I went with the Red Reli shrimp, they looked nice, i had not had them before, and most importantly they were in my budget. I performed a water change early in the day, did a water acclimation, and finally a drip acclimation. I added a s. repens, a flamingo crypt, susswassertang, hydrocotyle japan and some red root floaters all that i got from show.  Also floating a piece of cholla wood i got as well. When i went to bed i had noticed no casualties. I will see what they look like when i get home from work this afternoon. Grabbed a tiger nerite snail as well! I will post update. Hopefully i can clean this tank real nice in a few weeks once it balance out and and the plants grow in a bit, get some better looking tank shots. 

1.jpg.70bff7e464befa39af397eea52b65331.jpg2.jpg.625949c686f45abce6be37022a0b98ba.jpg3.jpg.8b0df32a569acc46174aafeae3f4376d.jpg

On 8/2/2022 at 8:45 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Is that lava rock?

Yup, i had one big chunk leftover from when i rescaped my 29 gallon a few months ago. 

Edited by LilBoot
  • Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 8:20 AM, LilBoot said:

Went to Aquashella this weekend, loaded up on plants, a few fish, and of course found the shrimp for this project. I went with the Red Reli shrimp, they looked nice, i had not had them before, and most importantly they were in my budget. I performed a water change early in the day, did a water acclimation, and finally a drip acclimation. I added a s. repens, a flamingo crypt, susswassertang, hydrocotyle japan and some red root floaters all that i got from show.  Also floating a piece of cholla wood i got as well. When i went to bed i had noticed no casualties. I will see what they look like when i get home from work this afternoon. Grabbed a tiger nerite snail as well! I will post update. Hopefully i can clean this tank real nice in a few weeks once it balance out and and the plants grow in a bit, get some better looking tank shots. 

1.jpg.70bff7e464befa39af397eea52b65331.jpg2.jpg.625949c686f45abce6be37022a0b98ba.jpg3.jpg.8b0df32a569acc46174aafeae3f4376d.jpg

Yup, i had one big chunk leftover from when i rescaped my 29 gallon a few months ago. 

Ah Aquashella!  I've never been but hope to go when it happens in my state; I think next spring.   The type of snail you bought is a Zebra nerite.  

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 8/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ah Aquashella!  I've never been but hope to go when it happens in my state; I think next spring.   The type of snail you bought is a Zebra nerite.  

Thanks, i was close!

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 5:20 AM, LilBoot said:

Looks great!  I think it's subtle but fits the design and setup very nicely.  Because it's a shrimp tank, if you ever have a "branch" or some sort of leftover nano size wood, I'm sure the shrimp wouldn't mind that to graze on. 

I can't wait to see it grow in.

Week one with shrimp, have had 1 confirmed death, and 2 confirmed molts. I can see for sure 4 females, and maybe 3 small males. Hopefully get some breeding to the colony. Added more plants and driftwoods. No water changes yet just top off. Had to remove the zebra nerite, he was not doing well. Barely moving, maybe just too cold for him, put him in my 20 gallon.9932C8ED-4250-4B08-94C5-3712C0A88E03.jpeg.9ec245adbcef24da9e74d36d91abc4bd.jpeg

Edited by LilBoot
  • Like 2

On 8/8/2022 at 11:03 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Are you in FL? I think Aquashella in Orlando happens in Spring... and I'm soooo hoping to make it since it's only an hour from me!

On 8/10/2022 at 8:56 AM, LilBoot said:

Close up:5190E1BE-72B0-46BF-B0C6-1AB5210A2AFE.jpeg.fcacb51fcaf96f15befb4e2c4186049e.jpeg

The tan \k looks gorgeous and the Shrimp are beautiful! I'm now inspired to redo my 3 gallon Cherry Shrimp tank!