Filopaludina martensi snail adventure (White Wizard)

3998218C-181E-4900-8458-FE3A9FE33A52.jpeg

@Guppysnail Wow, that shrimp though!!!  Snowball shrimp? Sooo cool!

@nabokovfan87 L👀K!

This one's hiding spot - ORD

B77D20E0-4873-47F9-83B1-408BF104AF73.jpeg

So @Guppysnail, I kinda expected the white wizard babies to be, ya know, white?  Did they get confused?

P.S. I just noticed in this pic above there is a shrimp that perfectly blends in.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 5/4/2023 at 10:23 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Can you believe how many babies you have now?  And all you did was add sand.

@TeeJay are you paying attention? Take notes @TeeJay

The group I gave @TeeJay I believe based on their look were much older. There was little mating activity at all. 
I do hope he gets babies though. 🤗

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 5:50 AM, Hank said:

Absolutely loved reading through this thread! I may have to start my own on my white Hercules snails. How have the babies grown in the last month?

I’ll grab some pictures later. The babies are doing great. They are all still brown. I have Aspidora spilotus fry in with them for another 2 weeks that are outcompeting them for food right now. So I’ve been feeding extra heavy and doing water changes. That definitely slowed the growth and baby production. 
These and the Taia naticoides piano snails have stolen my heart. They are slower than mystery snails but so crazy adorable. 

On 6/18/2023 at 5:05 PM, Themosster said:

@Guppysnailhow does their care differ from that of a mystery snail?

Not at all different. They do eat a bit less veggies though. 

On 6/18/2023 at 4:28 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Ok but do they ride the bubbles?

no they are not the clownish acrobats. More demure. 

• Sad 1

On 6/18/2023 at 6:23 PM, Guppysnail said:

Not at all different. They do eat a bit less veggies though. 

ill keep that in mind if im looking for new snails to try...

are they hard to get? or particularly expensive?

im seeing some online for $10 each.

On 6/18/2023 at 6:29 PM, TheMosster said:

ill keep that in mind if im looking for new snails to try...

are they hard to get? or particularly expensive?

im seeing some online for $10 each.

My LFS has striped and white wizard snails for 8.99 apiece but I haven’t bought them as I don’t want them competing with my Hercules snails in my main tank. 

On 6/19/2023 at 8:49 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

👆 photo please!  🥰

Originally I bought three. I noticed there were a bunch of babies in the tank so I nabbed a bunch of them too, for free (I can scoop my own fish there). Their shells were extremely weak from the pH and I accidentally crushed a few getting them out. I’ve now had them 2 weeks. They definitely go through cycles of activity. The largest and thickest one passed away a few days ago for no apparent reason, and the shell is extremely durable. I moved all the babies and one of the two adults I have left to my community tank since I’m treating my livebearer sand bottom for columnaris.

IMG_1325.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

IMG_1324.jpeg

Babies! They’ve increased in size by about 1.5x over the two weeks. I’ve had them in this breeder net the whole time but I think I’ll release them into the main tank when I’ve eliminated the columnaris

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

• Love 2

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2023 at 4:50 AM, Hank said:

Absolutely loved reading through this thread! I may have to start my own on my white Hercules snails. How have the babies grown in the last month?

White Hercules snails are not actually white and will not have white babies. They are dipped into a solution before they get to you that dissolves the brown layer of their shell and exposes white. 

@Guppysnail did your wizard snails ever turn white?  I've been doing some research on this. I haven't found anyone with white babies. It confuses me. 

• Sad 1

On 9/2/2023 at 9:35 PM, Cinnebuns said:

White Hercules snails are not actually white and will not have white babies. They are dipped into a solution before they get to you that dissolves the brown layer of their shell and exposes white. 

@Guppysnail did your wizard snails ever turn white?  I've been doing some research on this. I haven't found anyone with white babies. It confuses me. 

As they grew up their shells started getting lighter. I did not keep any babies to adulthood. The adults however new growth come in brown and slowly turns white. So I assume the babies will as well. 
When I got this second group they had a peach color because they were young and had not completely turned from brown to white. As they grew they turned completely white. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 4:55 AM, Guppysnail said:

As they grew up their shells started getting lighter. I did not keep any babies to adulthood. The adults however new growth come in brown and slowly turns white. So I assume the babies will as well. 
When I got this second group they had a peach color because they were young and had not completely turned from brown to white. As they grew they turned completely white. 

Does this mean you rehomed them before they were max sized?  I know someone who has some brown max sized. Some quick research shows maybe there are 2 variants and if they mate with a brown before you get it then you are more likely to get brown babies. At first I was worried all babies were brown but if your new growth is showing that then I'm more confident it's not a scrupulous seller thing like with Hercules snails but rather the same as with Japanese trapdoor coloring. They are both trapdoor snails so it makes sense. I've just been trying to find a definitive answer. I'm leaning heavily towards the 2 color morphs thing. Your probably are all white whereas my friends has brown babies that will likely never turn white. 

On 9/3/2023 at 10:43 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Does this mean you rehomed them before they were max sized?  I know someone who has some brown max sized. Some quick research shows maybe there are 2 variants and if they mate with a brown before you get it then you are more likely to get brown babies. At first I was worried all babies were brown but if your new growth is showing that then I'm more confident it's not a scrupulous seller thing like with Hercules snails but rather the same as with Japanese trapdoor coloring. They are both trapdoor snails so it makes sense. I've just been trying to find a definitive answer. I'm leaning heavily towards the 2 color morphs thing. Your probably are all white whereas my friends has brown babies that will likely never turn white. 

I have never heard of a brown variant WW snail. They grow slow and it takes a long time for the brown to turn white. The new growth brown on my adults takes many months to turn white. 

On 9/4/2023 at 4:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have never heard of a brown variant WW snail. They grow slow and it takes a long time for the brown to turn white. The new growth brown on my adults takes many months to turn white. 

Yes but there are people, my friend included, who have babies that NEVER turn white. He baby is full sized and has been for 2 months and is still brown. Reading online plus a guy I know who I swear knows everything about snails I learned there's 2 color morphs. If they happened to mate with someone from the other side of the tracks, the babies never turn white. I was worried for a moment that was true of all of them and maybe the adults we get were dipped, but reading here plus diving more I'm confident that's not true and its just the 2 colors. 

In my friends case, she has a lone female who gave birth so call maury to find out the daddy. Vs with you we know they are all white morphs mating together so that's why you got white. 

• Confused 1