Water Sprite Question

On 7/21/2022 at 2:20 PM, FLFishChik said:

Hi, it’s me again.. with more questions 😊

I bought a Water Sprite from ACO and planted it on July 14th. Today I noticed watclooks like roots coming from an upper segment of the plant. Should I clip it and plant it?

Hi @FLFishChik

That is Ceratopteris thalictroides, a nice plant that is easy to grow.  If you look closely where those roots are forming you will see a small plantlet starting just starting to form.  If you leave it until the plantlet forms 4 - 5 leave you can remove it and plant it.  Free plant!  -Roy

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 6:49 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @FLFishChik

That is Ceratopteris thalictroides, a nice plant that is easy to grow.  If you look closely where those roots are forming you will see a small plantlet starting just starting to form.  If you leave it until the plantlet forms 4 - 5 leave you can remove it and plant it.  Free plant!  -Roy

Thank you!!!! I am so very new to live plants but am now fascinated by them! Can't wait to start propagating a few for my own tanks now!

• Like 1

You couldn't find an easier plant to propagate than water sprite. If you just break off a leaf and let it float, it'll make baby plants off that broken off leaf. When it's happy, it can make a lot of extra plants for you. So many that I used to fill bread bags with extra plants to give to a local fish store. It can also be a bit quirky though, but yours looks very happy and should reproduce freely.

On 7/21/2022 at 4:20 PM, FLFishChik said:

Hi, it’s me again.. with more questions 😊

I bought a Water Sprite from ACO and planted it on July 14th. Today I noticed watclooks like roots coming from an upper segment of the plant. Should I clip it and plant it?

You can if you want.  Or you can cut it and let it float (water sprite does better floating than planted for me), or just leave it.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:11 AM, gardenman said:

You couldn't find an easier plant to propagate than water sprite. If you just break off a leaf and let it float, it'll make baby plants off that broken off leaf. When it's happy, it can make a lot of extra plants for you. So many that I used to fill bread bags with extra plants to give to a local fish store. It can also be a bit quirky though, but yours looks very happy and should reproduce freely.

Thank you! I’m so excited to start propagating some plants now!